Lame chicken, stinky poops, getting worse. What do I do?

ChickenLicken22

Hatching
Oct 20, 2022
1) she's a Barred rock , 16 or 17 weeks, seems about as healthy (well, before this that is) and fluffy as the others.
2) found her sitting on her bum with feet straight in front of her. She could stand for about a second, then flops backwards or forward. She was making an effort to walk and flop around. Now she can barely do that. Toes curl now and she seems to be losing control of her legs. She eats well and drinks well, especially if I'm around and seems to purr whenever I check on her. After her baths I thought she would try to lay an egg if she was egg bound but she didn't seem to act like she needed to.
3) symptoms for 3 days.
4) No other birds showing symptoms currently
5) only possible injury I can find is a lump on one side of her breast. Seems firm, I didn't want to push hard. Also has a small lump on her cheek.
6) possible causes: I soak their grains and one bucket had some mold on it. I thought I scooped it all out but may have missed some. I have not vaccinated for mereks (or anything) .
7) feed in hospital: mixed dry grains (mostly picks out the wheat), some meat scraps and bread, oyster shell, water
8) she didn't poop at all the first evening of being in "hospital", after 2 different Epsom salt baths she had a massive, stinky poop early in the morning. Pooping regularly since but really stinky. Day 3 it began to look like egg whites with it. (After a large vit b dose, related?)
9) treatment so far has been
night 1) 2 epsom salt baths, warm, quiet room.
Day 2) Coconut oil as lubricant.
Day 3) outside air and sunshine, tlc, (ate some grass), vit b.
Day 4) tlc. Don't know what to do.
10 ) I intend to continue treating her myself if she shows signs of improvement. I'm concerned about it spreading to other chickens or people. My 1 year old came down with diarrhea and a fever during this as well. From the chicken?! Should I dispatch to avoid further sickness to others? I almost did today to see if I could find the problem via a necropsy but she seems to have full capability of her head still, was preening today, and purrs when I come near. :(
11) I'll post a Picture, the lump under her eye is not large, looks like a mole a person might have. The one on her belly is the size of a small egg maybe?
12) she's in a box lined with a towel in my bathroom. Food, water, and oyster shell within reach. Gets rearranged and cleaned up regularly. The window is cracked. First night had the heater on low when I suspected she was egg bound. Doubtful now that she's survived this long? I'm new to chickens so just guessing and reading my chicken health for dummies book. Help!

Attachments

• 20221020_224313.jpg
    20221020_224313.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221020_224602.jpg
    20221020_224602.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 4
Can you get her started on a b complex vitamin? You can get it at any pharmacy or Wal Mart/ target.

Also, you need to feed her pellets or crumbles so she gets full nutrition not just what she likes?

If the color of the mold was white you could scoop it out, but if it's pink, green or black you need to throw the feed away and sanitize the bucket before you use it again.

Mareks disease could be a possibility, but mold or possible vitamin deficiency should be addressed. Mareks can cause tumors on skin, lameness, curling under toes, among other symptoms. It can strike at her age. Hopefully, it isn’t that. I would moisten some chicken feed, not scratch grains, so she doesn’t pick out the parts she likes. Egg is usually a good treat. B complex 1/4 tablet daily is a good dosage. It can be crushed into a spoonful of water or in food.

Can you get her started on a b complex vitamin? You can get it at any pharmacy or Wal Mart/ target.

Also, you need to feed her pellets or crumbles so she gets full nutrition not just what she likes?

If the color of the mold was white you could scoop it out, but if it's pink, green or black you need to throw the feed away and sanitize the bucket before you use it again.
Thanks, I'll do that right away.

Mareks disease could be a possibility, but mold or possible vitamin deficiency should be addressed. Mareks can cause tumors on skin, lameness, curling under toes, among other symptoms. It can strike at her age. Hopefully, it isn’t that.
Ok, thanks for the info. She has what could be a tumor under her left eye, about the size of her eye. As well has the larger lump on her breast. Hoping it's not that too!
I would moisten some chicken feed, not scratch grains, so she doesn’t pick out the parts she likes. Egg is usually a good treat. B complex 1/4 tablet daily is a good dosage. It can be crushed into a spoonful of water or in food.
I mix my own feed with a crude protein of about 17 percent (hoping to go a bit higher if I can find more options) and then I have been soaking the grains for 3 days to ferment so they can get more nutrients as well as vitamins. However, with the cooler weather we've been having and others helping with chores who didn't know the feed had to be stirred daily, the fermenting has not gone as well the last few days. I've stopped doing that for the others and will get some commercial feed for sick chicky. I gave her vit b once but I'll get back to doing that daily.
How long does it take to resolve a vitamin deficiency if that is the problem?
Thank you all for your helpful insights!

16 or 17 weeks

only possible injury I can find is a lump on one side of her breast. Seems firm, I didn't want to push hard. Also has a small lump on her cheek.
6) possible causes: I soak their grains and one bucket had some mold on it.

feed in hospital: mixed dry grains (mostly picks out the wheat), some meat scraps and bread, oyster shell, water
I'd provide a nutritionally balanced poultry feed like Chick Starter and All Flock as the only thing to eat.
Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
Fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom