Lame chicken

lechez

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
Central Coast, Australia
Posted on here a while back about scaly leg treatment, I gave her the ivermectin as she was lame and has severe scaly leg. I've been bathing her every two to three days and putting vasolene on. However she is still lame, it's been about 3 weeks. I feed her and give her water and am hoping she will lose the hard leg scales and eventually will be able to walk again. Can anyone tell me the likelihood of this happening after being lame for so long? I am wondering if @casportpony @Wyorp Rock you both helped so much with my first post, perhaps you might know? Thanks in advance

Pest's can take a toll on chickens.Keep bathing her(Just her feet)and consider adding Epsom salts to her bath.I would mix vitamins in her water or give it orally with a syringe.Hopefully she recovers.

Hi @lechez

Any updated photos on what the legs and feet look like now?
Did you repeat the Ivermectin in 10days after the initial dosage?
Is she eating/drinking?
What does her poop look like?

It's so hard to know...looking back, it seems there was a question about coming from your neighbor, he had several that just stopped moving and died. Severe SLM can cause the symptoms you are seeing, but there may be an underlying disease or infection as well.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't redosed yet @Wyorp Rock must have missed that step. I think it's only been about 10 days since so I can do it now. I hope I didnt throw out the ivermectin
I have attached some pics. I have to bathe her every second day as she poos on herself and gets it all stuck on her vent as she is laying down constantly. I will buy her some vitamins too.

Attachments

• IMG_7140.JPG
    IMG_7140.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7141.JPG
    IMG_7141.JPG
    726.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7143.JPG
    IMG_7143.JPG
    437.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7144.JPG
    IMG_7144.JPG
    457.8 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the great photos!

Her legs look so much better.
The poop looks soft, but pretty good to me, but we'll see what Kathy @casportpony has to say.

Since she is unable to stand, you may want to consider making her a sling to keep her upright for a few hours each day. Here's an image of what I'm talking about. Folks get creative with their slings - do some searches on Marek's Sling or Chicken sling and you will find other ideas.

900x900px-LL-20778a8a_chickensling-500x276.jpeg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

Thanks @Wyorp Rock i have been putting her in a empty pot with a towel in it so it sort of holds her body up but let's her legs hang down to stop her from being on her legs all day haha. I sent the pic you sent me to my husband and asked him to build me something similar so thanks for that, what a cool invention. She does feel super bony so I think she's lost weight. Other than that I think she's fairly happy. She's never had this much attention and yummy food in her whole life ;) how long does it usually take for all the crusty bits to fall off her feet do you know?

Thanks @Wyorp Rock i have been putting her in a empty pot with a towel in it so it sort of holds her body up but let's her legs hang down to stop her from being on her legs all day haha. I sent the pic you sent me to my husband and asked him to build me something similar so thanks for that, what a cool invention. She does feel super bony so I think she's lost weight. Other than that I think she's fairly happy. She's never had this much attention and yummy food in her whole life ;) how long does it usually take for all the crusty bits to fall off her feet do you know?

Placing her in the pot was a great idea! Anything to get her up of the legs is helpful.

I don't know the timeline for all the scales to fall off. Hers was so severe, it will take time, but they look so much better, you are making progress.

They do love that extra attention it seems:)

Losing weight is concerning. I know we probably went over this in the other thread, but you may want to provide some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week and give a higher protein feed like chick starter or an all flock feed. Some other things to boost protein would be eggs, tuna or meat.

Back
Top Bottom