lame duckling

C Kulak

Chirping
May 25, 2018
HELP!! My 7 week old ducklings were attacked by a rat two nights ago. One was killed, but one of the others has since had a turned under foot, and is walking on her knuckle. I could find no sign of injury, and she is as lively/alert as always. I have tried splinting it, but she gets the splint off straight away. Is it a result of shock? Will it right itself?

Sounds like maybe in panic she injured it? Try a shoe you can make it out of anything rigid a butter container will work cut it to size of her web wrap good in some kind of tape. Then put her foot onto it wrap in non sticky tape like paper tape or vet wrap making sure to wrap up around the ankle. Be careful not to wrap too tight you don’t want to cut off circulation. Keep her out of water for a few days unwrap an see if it’s healing if not wrap again the boot will keep her foot in the right position and wrapping up past the ankle will keep the whole thing on better. Very sorry for your loss:hugs if you think it’s broken a vet would be best.

Sounds like maybe in panic she injured it? Try a shoe you can make it out of anything rigid a butter container will work cut it to size of her web wrap good in some kind of tape. Then put her foot onto it wrap in non sticky tape like paper tape or vet wrap making sure to wrap up around the ankle. Be careful not to wrap too tight you don’t want to cut off circulation. Keep her out of water for a few days unwrap an see if it’s healing if not wrap again the boot will keep her foot in the right position and wrapping up past the ankle will keep the whole thing on better. Very sorry for your loss:hugs if you think it’s broken a vet would be best.
Thank-you. She has a boot on now,although it makes her drag her foot when walking. There is no break, I'm sure of that. Fingers crossed xx

Back
Top Bottom