Lame hen, what would you do?

KRiechert

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
Savannah, GA
About a week and a half ago I noticed my Jersey Giant (about 7 months old) was having trouble walking. She was unsteady on her feet almost like she couldn't support her own weight. I've been watching her each day. She gets around, she eats, she drinks, and she still lays eggs (which are normal). I checked for bumblefoot, but didn't see anything. She was vaccinated for Mareks, so that's not it. It started suddenly.
I have been making sure she gets protein (cottage cheese, yogurt, etc) spiked with bird vitamin drops and I've set out oyster shells. I thought that she was getting around more/standing more the past few days, but tonight I discovered that she hasn't been roosting at night. I suspect she can't get up there. She was sitting on the ground under the coop. (It's all fenced, so I don't worry about prey animals...but she could be cold)
Would you just let her be, since she is getting around and eating like normal, or would you separate her out for a while and put her in a small dog crate? The other chickens are not pecking her.
I just want my healthy chicken back!

Back
Top Bottom