Lame leg

DanieC

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 5, 2016
One of my lavender hens was jumped by a duck and her hip is possibly out of socket .. she has no swelling and doesn’t seem in pain but can’t walk. She’s separated from everyone else and is eating and drinking. Her leg is just straight out. I’ve rigged up a sling for her so she can get up. It’s been a few days. Any ideas?

For those who say my previous post about my duck ... he’s healed up well and is back in with the others.

thanks!

Drakes trying to mate chicken hens are fully capable of injuring/killing them. Drakes have penises, roosters do not. It would be wise to separate him from the chicken flock. It is possible that her pelvis was injured or that her hip has been dislocated. It may require veterinary intervention.

If you could see a vet, they might be able to determine if it is dislocated. She could have tendon or ligament damage from the injury. She might do alright in the sling for a few weeks if she tolerates it. They should not spend all day and night in the sling, but have some rest periods to move around and to sleep.

Ok thank you. We usually have them separated but somehow he got her. We don’t have a local vet that sees chickens so I’m trying what I’ve learned along the way. Not sure she likes the sling or thinks I’ve lost my mind. Lol

It can take some time perhaps weeks for healing to occur if there is a sprain. Hopefully, she will get better or learn to get around with her leg.

Back
Top Bottom