Lame little hen

You know..... I was just reading about curled toes in poultry, and how a B-vitamin deficiency can cause it, too. You might run down to your farm store, and get some vitamins for her water, like Nutri-Drench or something. Couldn't hurt. That's probably why the raw goats milk is such a great cure, too. It has amazing vitamins and nutrition in it as well!! :) Jenn
2665.png

We are still giving them the "Chick probiotic boost" in their water...as well as chick food with the extras that come in that. And it isn't enough for our Martha I guess. Thank you!

I will let you know how things go for us you guys. I really appreciate the help. More than you know. Now to get Martha separated. She is going to hate this...but it is better than being attacked by the rooster or put down.

love.gif

Janelle

Martha is about the same. I tried the goats milk and she didn't seem to know what to do with it. I put her beak in it and everything. I've read chickens tend to love milk...but mine are young and confused I think. I didn't separate her, I've read that sometimes they aren't welcomed back into the fold again and I don't have a good set up for separating. She seems ok. I'm a softy, I will probably just watch for awhile. I don't want her in pain though. We may get rid of the pesky rooster and it will help. I don't mind lifting her into the coop at night. Thanks for checking!

Have you tried getting a bacterial culture for her to check for e coli etc? Mine stopped coming off the roost and wouldnt walk or stand more than a few seconds and it turned out to have a bacterial intestinal that was easily treated with 10 days of doxycycline. It didnt cost that much either

So I actually have taken some time to really watch Martha. It looks like she is improving! She walks gently and purposely, being careful to step on her feet flat. So either she is learning to cope or getting better. She will still lose her footing when startled and she sits a lot. But I am super hopeful. A friend suggested giving scrambled eggs for a boost. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom