Lame newly baby chick

Lilwaterbottle01

Hatching
Jul 27, 2021
Hi uhm I got eggs that my mom brought me and I hatched them. Some came out healthy and started walking however 2 of them didn't made it. One of them had the same problem my baby chicks has but that one passed away already.
The problem i have is
Its trying to walk but falls on its left side.
His left eye is kept close and doesn't use his left wing.
I dont know anything about chickens
I dont know anything about breeding them either.
Ive been giving it tomatoes seeds and I try to give it water.

I'll also say that this baby chick
When hatching it quit
As in
Gave up and was left 1 and1/2 days left and so we decided to take it out .

I dont know what to feed it
Its probably 2 days old considering that it stayed in the egg shell...

What do I do and don't do?
What do I feed it?

If its sick what do I do?

Do you have a picture of the chick? Is their left leg splayed out to the side or do they just not use it?

As for food and water, you can set up a feeder with chick starter and a waterer.

For the injured chick, you can get electrolyte mix from the feed store and mix it with water. Offer it to them a drop at a time with a syringe or something - but don't force them to drink. Just wet their beak and if they swallow it, offer them a little more.

The chick might not make it if it's having severe issues moving around, but there's a chance it can recover depending on what's wrong with it.

Do you have a picture of the chick? Is their left leg splayed out to the side or do they just not use it?

As for food and water, you can set up a feeder with chick starter and a waterer.

For the injured chick, you can get electrolyte mix from the feed store and mix it with water. Offer it to them a drop at a time with a syringe or something - but don't force them to drink. Just wet their beak and if they swallow it, offer them a little more.

The chick might not make it if it's having severe issues moving around, but there's a chance it can recover depending on what's wrong with it.
20210727_011703.jpg

It doesn't use it but its trued to
How long have they been out of the egg?

I'd put them under the heat lamp and see if they dry off and become more active in a day perhaps. Offer them the electrolyte water as soon as you can get some (If you can't find any for sale, mix some Gatorade with water and offer them that.

I'd put them under the heat lamp and see if they dry off and become more active in a day perhaps. Offer them the electrolyte water as soon as you can get some (If you can't find any for sale, mix some Gatorade with water and offer them that.
Not even 24 hours

Is a regular lamp okay? I don't have a heating lamp

Is a regular lamp okay? I don't have a heating lamp
You'll need to get a heat lamp as soon as possible, as chicks can't regulate their body temperature. Do you have a heating pad or something similar? If there's room in the incubator, I might leave them in the incubator for tonight until you can get a heat lamp so they don't all freeze.

Definitely give the chick some time to warm up before you start working too much. They've only just entered the world. They won't need to eat immediately, so focus on getting them warm and dry first and then see how they're doing after they've been under a heat lamp for a while.

You'll need to get a heat lamp as soon as possible, as chicks can't regulate their body temperature. Do you have a heating pad or something similar? If there's room in the incubator, I might leave them in the incubator for tonight until you can get a heat lamp so they don't all freeze.

Definitely give the chick some time to warm up before you start working too much. They've only just entered the world. They won't need to eat immediately, so focus on getting them warm and dry first and then see how they're doing after they've been under a heat lamp for a while.
No I don't ill buy one as soon as I can. Thank you so much. It means so much... you have no idea how hard this is for me right now

Back
Top Bottom