Lame Pekin

AmberRex

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
O.K so a few weeks ago one of my Pekins went lame, I checked her for breaks and dislocations, I couldnt see any, as far as I can remember she didn't have the bumblefoot scab ( can ducks get that?) but I shall double check tomorrow. Now her foot looks swollen and she walks on it but it definitely impedes her. It is almost as though her foot is dead, I don't know if that makes sense or not but it almost look as if there is no feeling in it and it is kind of discoloured i.e. greyey orange. She is bright eyed and eating fine, she swims and when the other ducks take their daily walk (into the garden) sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't. I can upload pictures tomorrow if that would help. I am just completely confused about why this happened. The only thing I can think of is that we had a lot of wind a while back and that the chicken shed door blew shut on her foot (extensive bruising maybe?) but it has gone on a while. If it were a disease surely others would have it... any ideas please???
hu.gif

O.K so a few weeks ago one of my Pekins went lame, I checked her for breaks and dislocations, I couldnt see any, as far as I can remember she didn't have the bumblefoot scab ( can ducks get that?) but I shall double check tomorrow. Now her foot looks swollen and she walks on it but it definitely impedes her. It is almost as though her foot is dead, I don't know if that makes sense or not but it almost look as if there is no feeling in it and it is kind of discoloured i.e. greyey orange. She is bright eyed and eating fine, she swims and when the other ducks take their daily walk (into the garden) sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't. I can upload pictures tomorrow if that would help. I am just completely confused about why this happened. The only thing I can think of is that we had a lot of wind a while back and that the chicken shed door blew shut on her foot (extensive bruising maybe?) but it has gone on a while. If it were a disease surely others would have it... any ideas please???
hu.gif
If she's able to walk on it then it may not be broken although there could be some broken bones. The more she uses it the worse it will get though, she needs to be placed where she gets minimal exercise so she can rest her foot. Just like when we bruise or sprain our foot or leg we need to take it easy for a while to let it heal, can you put her someplace where she can have a buddy to keep her company but where she can rest her foot and leg. also warm soaks with Epsom salt in the water will help with swelling and inflammation, [just don't let her drink the water ES acts like a laxative. ] being discolored could mean blood flow is being compromised if possible I think a vet visit maybe in order. I do understand it's not always feasible to take one though,

Thank you, I will try tomorrow to separate her. I also have a mysteriously lame bantam in the conservatory but her lameness is different. She is in rest so maybe I could try put my ducky in with her. I don't know how she will take this though ( the duck) because all of the ducks are sort of like a family, we have an amazing drake, Harvey who really looks after them all but you are probably right... Sometimes the answer is right under your'e nose and it takes someone else to point it out. The vet I think is coming to vaccinate my three little moos in a few weeks so maybe I can coordinate...
frow.gif

Thank you, I will try tomorrow to separate her. I also have a mysteriously lame bantam in the conservatory but her lameness is different. She is in rest so maybe I could try put my ducky in with her. I don't know how she will take this though ( the duck) because all of the ducks are sort of like a family, we have an amazing drake, Harvey who really looks after them all but you are probably right... Sometimes the answer is right under your'e nose and it takes someone else to point it out. The vet I think is coming to vaccinate my three little moos in a few weeks so maybe I can coordinate...
frow.gif
Let us know how she does on rest. and if you can find some niacin to add to her drinking water that may help too. Niacin has been known to cure lameness in Ducklings that are deficient in it. so adding 100-150 mgs to her drinking water daily may help in this situation too. About her being upset with being separated from her flock mates, can you put one of your females in with her and your chicken? I have a couple of my ducks that are very close and could not be separated.

Wouldn't they all be deficient in niacin? Will try to find some thank you. If I can I will get a picture today because then there will be a before and after pic. Thank you!

Wouldn't they all be deficient in niacin? Will try to find some thank you. If I can I will get a picture today because then there will be a before and after pic. Thank you!
Not necessarily some ducks just like some people are not able to utilize nutrients better than others this one just may have a problem. And this may not help but niacin if fairly inexpensive so worth a shot.

Last edited:
I tell you what. They will make a liar of me yet. I went out this morning and she, although still not right is noticeably better... after nearly two months. I will still try to source some niacin and follow your very helpful advice though because I want to make sure she is 100% or at least 99% again... THANK YOU!
smile.png

I tell you what. They will make a liar of me yet. I went out this morning and she, although still not right is noticeably better... after nearly two months. I will still try to source some niacin and follow your very helpful advice though because I want to make sure she is 100% or at least 99% again... THANK YOU!
smile.png
thumbsup.gif
just resting over night has helped so continued rest may help her get 100% again..

Back
Top Bottom