Lame Pullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painted Calls

Still the Mayor
Premium Feather Member
Aug 26, 2019
My 8 month old banty Cochin came up lame last week. She started off not wanting to use her leg/foot at all. I checked her over and everything looked/felt ok. No swelling/discoloration/heat. She seemed to sort of let her leg hang when perching and seemed to drag it a bit when hopping around.

She is not limping as bad now, but she seems to be walking on her knuckles with her foot curled. When resting, she also rests that foot curled. She seems to be using it A LOT more, but she is still lame.

I will include pics and try to include a video. Might need help with that part.. We shall see!.. My question is - Should I splint her foot at all if she continues walking with her toes curled under? Should I just wait a little longer and see if she continues to improve?

Sorry for the lack of much to see in the pics. She is heavily feathered. Also - don't mind the jams.

20200101_154016.jpg 20200101_153856.jpg 20200101_153926.jpg 20200101_173149.jpg
20200101_154016.jpg
20200101_153856.jpg
20200101_153926.jpg
20200101_173149.jpg
20200101_154016.jpg 20200101_153856.jpg 20200101_153926.jpg 20200101_173149.jpg

Apparently I got the pics extremely right. Sorry for the doubles. :lau

Wow she is "fluffy" :love
Where did you get her from?
Was she vaccinated for Mareks?
How high are the roosts?

You may want start her on Nutri Drench & feeding "treats" high in Riboflavin, possible vitamin deficiency. Doesn't look to have Bumble Foot, she could have sprained her leg jumping from the roost. You may want to put her in a wire cage/crate with food/water to allow her to rest her possible injury. Put the cage in the coop so she remains part of the flock.

I got her from a somewhat local breeder. I would assume that he vaccinates for Mareks, but I'm actually not sure. I can definitely ask though!

She has access to roosts at all levels. From almost on ground to about 5'5". Her favorite is about 4' off the ground.

Yes, definitely no bumble foot. Once you pull the feathers back, she has very clean and pretty feet. I'm not sure that the fluffy princess will eat liver, but I will try. I'll go grab a bottle of nutri-drench! Thank you so much! :D

Try to keep her confined so if it's sprained, she will rest it. Treating for vitamin deficiency is always a good start, keep a close eye on her & any other developments in her condition. Hopefully it's "just" a sprain & vitamin treatment won't hurt.
Hope she's better soon

Those symptoms of limping, dragging a leg, walking on knuckle or curled under toes, can be symptoms of Mareks disease or an injury to the leg affecting the nerve. Mareks usually affects young chickens in their first year, but I really hope it is not that. I would treat her with B complex vitamins or a poultry vitamin that contains riboflavin (vitamin B 2.) Having her rest her leg and not roost would be good, and place her near food and water. Here are some links to read about Mareks:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext...Preventing Mareks Disease in Small Flocks.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I've got her all situated in her own little closed off area with plenty of fluffy pine bedding to lay in. She's quite happy to just eat/drink/rest. She comes running for treats, so food drive is definitely still intact!

After reading the articles in both of those links, I'm convinced it's a vitamin B deficiency. Will any form work? What sort of a dose should I give her? I put that directly into her water, correct? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right!

Would fast dissolving B12 be good or should I get a B complex with Vit C and zinc?

Here she is today. It almost seems like her hip? Could totally be a sprain. She's still a bit off but she's better than she was. I've seen her scratch with both feet. No more curled toes either. I still plan on giving the B and some nutri-drench just in case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom