Lame rooster?

Necklace

Songster
Dec 4, 2014
Hello. I have 3 rosters my oldest one has been knocked down from being the top by one of the younger ones.. they have been playing a chase game for a few months now.. no serious damage till about 4 days ago. I went out and he was limping really bad not wanting to put pressure on it..
I have had him in a smaller pen for 4 days now.. he stays mostly up in the top box of the pen and does not move much at all. I don't think he is eating or drinking.
I have tried to give him some infant pain meds but he is not a very sociable bird and he will not take it..
When I have caught him standing a few times he is holding the leg up and his wing will drop down a bit also. His leg looks about twice the size of the other.

I was just throwing this out to see if anyone has any ideas of how to make him more comfortable.. with him not eating or drinking it is probably not good and he probably does not have much longer. Seems like he has just given up. :(

It sounds like he broke or sprained the leg if there's that much noticeable swelling. You are right in assuming he hasn't long to live. I had a rooster fracture a leg, and despite trying to nurse him through it, he reached the point yours is at right now, not eating or drinking and losing strength.

When they reach that point, the humane thing to do is euthanize, which is what I did, and I urge you to put him out of his suffering.

Back
Top Bottom