Lameness in My Crested Duck

jocelyn86

In the Brooder
May 16, 2016
Hello,
I have a crested duck that I got about a month and a half ago. She limps on her right leg and is a lot smaller than the other 3 that I picked up at the same time. I have a mixed flock and some of the chickens have been picking on her.

I have checked the bottom of her foot for any lesions or swelling- there is none to be found. I have been giving her baths of Epsom Salt and then spraying with Blue Kote. This doesn't really seem to have an effect as there are no open wounds to be found-so i'm not sure if bumblefoot is the problem. I have been considering antibiotics-a possible infection in her leg? I really don't want to give her antibiotics if I don't have to.

I have included a photo of her legs and her feet.

What do you think is the problem?
Where do you get avian antibiotics without a prescription?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pretty little one.

Just to make sure - she's not drinking the Epsom salt water, right? That's a laxative.

As a crested, she could have neurological problems and those can be associated with leg problems. As ducklings, some need extra niacin (I like to suggest all the B vitamins, as I have also read that thiamine can be lacking). So I would start adding a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (not baking or winemaking yeast - brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement) per cup of food.

Just thinking out loud - I don't know if it's possible that she has pulled a muscle - that can take over a week, sometimes three, to heal up.

Pretty little one.

Just to make sure - she's not drinking the Epsom salt water, right? That's a laxative.

As a crested, she could have neurological problems and those can be associated with leg problems. As ducklings, some need extra niacin (I like to suggest all the B vitamins, as I have also read that thiamine can be lacking). So I would start adding a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (not baking or winemaking yeast - brewer's yeast is a nutritional supplement) per cup of food.

Just thinking out loud - I don't know if it's possible that she has pulled a muscle - that can take over a week, sometimes three, to heal up.

Thank you! And thank you for your response!
She's not drinking the Epsom Salt Water. For right now I have decided to keep her in the coop while the others forage during the day, so she can have her own food and drink and time to rest without getting picked at. I'm going to try the brewer's yeast as soon as I can find some

As far as the pulled muscle, it seems unlikely, as we have had her for at least three weeks now with no sign of the limp getting better.

Has there been any obvious trauma? My Indian runner ran into the front of a parked lawnmower, she limped for about 3 weeks in total, but after week one I took her to see the exotic vet. They were convinced it was broke, I didn't think so, so we went this soft tissue damage & treated with anti inflammatory. It didn't seem to work, I gave her a warm bath everyday & restricted her movement for about 10 days.

By week 3, still limping. Put her in the warm pool, she found a frog & ran round the garden with it without limping... From that very moment there was no limp. Weird.

Thank you! And thank you for your response!
She's not drinking the Epsom Salt Water. For right now I have decided to keep her in the coop while the others forage during the day, so she can have her own food and drink and time to rest without getting picked at. I'm going to try the brewer's yeast as soon as I can find some

As far as the pulled muscle, it seems unlikely, as we have had her for at least three weeks now with no sign of the limp getting better.
Keep those chickens from pecking on her they can really do alot of damage. And stress her out. Any time a flock member is showing signs of sickness or injurty the rest just feel it's their duty to kill it or stress it to death. So a nice quiet place where she can still see the flock and them her but where she is protected and with a buddy if you have another that will be nice.

Has there been any obvious trauma? My Indian runner ran into the front of a parked lawnmower, she limped for about 3 weeks in total, but after week one I took her to see the exotic vet. They were convinced it was broke, I didn't think so, so we went this soft tissue damage & treated with anti inflammatory. It didn't seem to work, I gave her a warm bath everyday & restricted her movement for about 10 days.

By week 3, still limping. Put her in the warm pool, she found a frog & ran round the garden with it without limping... From that very moment there was no limp. Weird.

Not that I can see/have seen.. that's very strange though. Glad that she's back chasing frogs again!

I'm hoping that some supplements and physical separation (although she can still see the rest of her friends) will do the trick. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get Brewers yeast?

I agree with vitamins i use nutri-drench and brewers yeast for my white crested duckling who as many different issues . soaking the leg and foot in epson salt and spaying the hole foot and leg with vetericyn daily help my pekin heal quickly. you can buy brewers yeast at any health food store i stick to vitamins and brewers yeast i have seen a huge improvement in my little girl and every day she gets better and better

Last edited:
I agree with vitamins i use nutri-drench and brewers yeast for my white crested duckling who as many different issues . soaking the leg and foot in epson salt ans spaying the hole foot and leg with vetericyn daily help my pekin heal quickly.
Good for you.........Not always needed....Kind of like a doctor?? Antibiotics and vitamins will cure you....Proper feed usually does the trick..

I agree proper food is very important but some ducks just need a little extra
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom