lameness- link to new foraging area?

Bullie4me

Hatching
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Yesterday I discovered on of my 6month old hens limping and frequently sitting down, using her wing to balance a few hours after giving the 6 girls a new area of garden to free range in. I had just cleared a vegatable plot and thought they would enjoy a good scratching around. To my horror I belated realised I had forgotton a rhubarb crown and they had obviously trashed it.
She makes no fuss when picked up and I have examined her feet and legs thoroughly, which seem fine. I can't think what else it could be unless she's over done the scratching/perhaps pulled a tendon/muscle.
As she continues to eat and drink and with a bit of a helping hand went to the nest box to lay, I'll keep monitoring her and hope she improves.
Does anybody think there is a link to eating rhubarb leaves?

Last edited:
thank you very much for your reply. the links were very helpful.
Fortunately the little lady appears much improved this morning and although,not surprisingly, she is not actually scratching for food, her appetite is definately unimpaired. Her gait also appears stronger and she is managing to get about the garden quite well, even if a bit slower than her companions.
The other girls are fine and the Rhubarb does not appear to have had any adverse effects upon their digestion, so we seems to have got away with that.
I am hoping she just strained a leg muscle and am keeping fingers crossed, things continue to improve.

Back
Top Bottom