1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lancaster County PA Rent A Chick???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Suzanne Dunn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Suzanne Dunn

Suzanne Dunn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Jenkintown, PA
    Has anyone ever heard of this practice? Children or adults are able to rent a baby chick and then return it to the farm. Sounds like a bad deal for the chick for sure!

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You can google this. It seems to be big in the cities. For a very high price (More than buying everything outright) you get a small pen with tiny run, dishes, some food and either two or three laying hens. You may "rent" them for a period of time and then I think you can either purchase them or return them. It's supposed to give people an idea if they want chickens permanently.
    The ads I've seen are for adult pullets, almost at point of lay, not babies. If they rented babies they would need to rent brooders and a heat source.

1 person likes this.
  3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    When I was a child in Sacramento California ( circa 1960) , the Children's Museum had a Rent A Pet program .you could get a rabbit or a guinea pig with all the fixings. Cage and all and rent it for a week . then when you're done you brought it back. As kids our enthusiasm for the Pet did last for a week, so the animals were well taken care of. it was a great experience.
    Karen

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by