Land for 100 chickens?

tdaigle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I really need to know how much land I would need for 100 chickens to "graze" on and how big my coop would need to be. Thanks!
D.gif

You're going to want to split them up in to multiple coops, not put 100 all in one coop. The size and build is going to depend on your breed choice. A lot of people repeat 4sq ft minimum per bird, but that is based on intensive farming standards and is for a coop where they sleep only. Every chicken should have 12sq ft minimum on pasture.

These are basic things to know, if you are new to chickens, do not start off with 100 of them. Learn flock management with a much smaller number! Looking at a starting number like that, I'm wondering if you're hoping to get in to making money off chickens? I don't recommend you bother with the venture if so. You can only make a small fortune off chickens by starting with a big fortune. Get some good literature to pour over if you're still interested in chicken keeping. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is a good one that has the answers to what you're asking and also talks about pasture rotation.

You're going to want to split them up in to multiple coops, not put 100 all in one coop. The size and build is going to depend on your breed choice. A lot of people repeat 4sq ft minimum per bird, but that is based on intensive farming standards and is for a coop where they sleep only. Every chicken should have 12sq ft minimum on pasture.

These are basic things to know, if you are new to chickens, do not start off with 100 of them. Learn flock management with a much smaller number! Looking at a starting number like that, I'm wondering if you're hoping to get in to making money off chickens? I don't recommend you bother with the venture if so. You can only make a small fortune off chickens by starting with a big fortune. Get some good literature to pour over if you're still interested in chicken keeping. Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is a good one that has the answers to what you're asking and also talks about pasture rotation.
I do have experience with a smaller amount of chickens and hoping to start a buisness. A lthough I am only 12 years old, I am hoping to make money for college like this. My dad will be helping pay for a lot of the materials, but I have to pay him back. I have been doing research for a long time so hopefully I will be prepared. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
If each hen needs 12 square meters then you only need 0.3 acres for 100 chicken for them to graze. They would need 300 square meters in the roost.

I do have experience with a smaller amount of chickens and hoping to start a buisness. A lthough I am only 12 years old, I am hoping to make money for college like this. My dad will be helping pay for a lot of the materials, but I have to pay him back. I have been doing research for a long time so hopefully I will be prepared. Thank you very much.

Good luck! Are you raising the birds for eggs, meat or to sell?

How much do you want to have to feed? For 100 birds to not ruin the soil and overly damage the plants, I think you would need a minimum of 2 acres. If you want them to get some more forage food, they would need like five acres. If you want them to get mostly forage feed, they would need like ten acres.You could give them less, but the numbers above will keep the ground, the plants, the birds, and you happier. I agree that there should be more than one coop. I would do two or three coops they can pick to sleep in, spread out at opposite ends of the property to encourage them to range farther and allow them to sleep with other chickens that they like more. It will give them a choice of who to sleep with and decrease pecking order squabbles, so they would lay better and have less stress.

Back
Top Bottom