1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

landscape timber coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nightshade, Dec 30, 2008.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

okay so in my one wood working catalog there is a pattern for a landscape timber playhouse, which got me thinking. So I googled it and found a cabin built of landscape timbers on motherearthnews.com. What does everyone think of this idea? They both look really nice and I imagion that a coop made of them following this type of pattern would also look really nice in our woodland setting. Pros and cons of this would be super helpful.
    Thanks
    Bj

2. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    That would make a good looking coop! The main thing I would be worried about is the chemicals used to treat the landscape timbers.
    If you could get some that were untreated I would say go for it!![​IMG]

3. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    pro=look really cool

con= depending on size could get really spendy

to cut price you could make only the front or visible walls out of the timbers.?.jmo good luck & have fun.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd sheathe the inside to keep birds away from creosote or copper arsenate...but would be a great material for keeping birds cool in summer/warm in winter...

any pics or sketches?

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I agree that it could get pricey, and that the chemicals in treated wood could be harmful to your chickens. It sure does sound attractive though.

How many chickens do you intend to have?

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    For my run, I bought landscape timbers that were not chemically treated. Easy to find at Home Depot. However, I don't know if building a whole structure out of them would be in my budget... And they can be cumbersome to work with since they are so thick...

But then again, it would look good....

7. nightshade

Quote:The Winfield collection wood working catalog has a pattern with a materials list in it which was what got me thinking.

8. nightshade

Quote:we already have 40 and plan to stay around that number for our laying hens. But was thinking that it could be used for a smaller breeder size coop with 4-6 hens and a roo. Or a guinne coop because I am tired of buying new ones every year to free range to eat the bugs I might as well breed my own.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:It could get pricey, but I wouldnt worry about the chemicals in treated wood. Ive been using treated wood to build cages and coops out of for several years, and never had any type of problem with it. Id love to see your coop to see what it looks like.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Playhouses aren't very large in area and only around 4 ft tall. Several BYC members have some post where they have converted playhouses into some really nice coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by