Landscaping and Plantings for a Free Range Flock

Pics
Bambrook, I can sympathize with the humidity. Its going to cool off here this weekend. Our highs only in the mid 70's. We've been above average with temps in the high 80's. Nice to catch a break.

I'm dividing some day lily & iris. The chickens are "helping". Every shovel full of dirt I turn over, they begin scratching through looking for worms & grubs. They get impatient if I don't shovel quick enough. The will peck or scratch at the shovel. Love gardening with them.

Memphis you're making me want to get out in the yard and dig dirt with curious pullets!

Today I work though and a wedding this evening and somewhere in the middle of all that I need to prepare for a birthday dinner for MIL tomorrow. I want a free day of doing garden stuff!

Following...
I keep mostly bantams (spangled oegb, and just got some silkie chicks), and have only three standard SS hens, so the damage isn't bad. The SS in particular love to stay under some really BIG shrubbery, and whatever they do under there is fine. Can't hurt a thing. However, I do tend to plant 'tougher' stuff in the back where they stay most of the time. Shrubs, roses, pentas, tender plants(coleus, etc) and herbs that root from cuttings/breakage easily. That way if they do some damage I can just make new plants from whatever they wreck. My orchids, ferns, begonias, etc are all in front where they rarely venture. The most tender plants like my rhizo and cane begonias stay in pots.

I just dug up several roses the other day to move them away from where they were planted right against the foundation around our screen room by the previous owner. The oegbs were in love with the sandy divets left behind.

I like saving the the clippings idea. What kind of grass? I spread my clipping in their yard. In piles. They have a blast scratching through it. I have St. Augustin down here. I usually wait till it puts up little seed pods before cutting. I overseed with rye in the back & actually have to cut it a few times in the winter. My back yard is huge, but all shade. I have a worse time growing things back there in the summer. I have an old pecan grove, and not much grows in the shade.

Memphis: Our 'grass' was a seed mix of some sort from the hardware store 11 years ago. I think I do usually look for Kentucky Blue Grass...? But since getting the birds...I don't spread weed/feed on the lawn...so now it is crab grass (which actually my chickens LOVE--my allergic husband does not), dandelions--atrocious and ugly in May/June--chickens love, white clover, and clipped weed oddities in general. We're definitely not fancy on the lawn here. I think we have our share of plantain in the lawn too also very good for chickens.
Old English Game Birds.

You got me, what does: I Dnt knw wh M cnt fgr tht n t. M b prtty gd t brvtns. mean???? Your spelling is atrocious!
gig.gif

Sorry I've been away folks. I'm playing catch up from that busy weekend. 15 million loads of laundry...you know the issues. My yard is still not attended to. It was a gorgeous evening out last night and I should have spent some time out there. But grabbed the camera instead and watched chicken TV. And then the kids wanted to go to a H.S. Volleyball game. So we did that after a short episode of "Chicken Days of our Lives."

FREE is ALWAYS BEST!
So Another plant that is very important in the Landscaping is this Hydrangea. I think it might be Annabelle with the Flattened White flowers. It was a clump of about 6 stems my sister brought to me after we built our home and it was FREE... Her stems came from her Husband's Grandmother who lived in an old house in the city. This plant seperates well and takes off in new spots like crazy! I find that it likes partial shade/Partial Sun. This Plant is big and dynamic around my house and the chickens LOVE it! For shade, for predator coverage, For naps, for dusting under. I've heard that the foliage is poisonous to them. But I have not had a bird die as a result of it. (I had the plants before the chickens) I think the birds know what is good for them and what is not.

Also in my Landscaping is PeeGee Hydrangea. They are doing only so-so. One has been run over by snowmobile (when covered with snow) and they are on the perimeter of the yard...where deer like to browse. So they've taken their fair share of beatings. As I type this I think I will ammend their soil a bit and give them some extra attention this fall. See if we can't get them going a little better. These bushes are valuable to my birds as well. Plus...they are gorgeous as they blush in the fall.

Edited to add: Welcome @Goosegrrl Excited to see what is happening in Florida in Plantings! Hope you are all good after Hurricane Matthew.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I hear you Lazy Gardener. Today the Cloud ceiling is low and very deep gray out there. It's been dark and gloomy all day. After yesterday...I was sort of hoping for more of that glorious day.

I'll do my best to put in a special feature plant (with photos
wink.png
) when I think of it or get a chance. Eventually I will run out though...so I do encourage you all to put yours on here too. I'm -a-learnin' myself!

big_smile.png

Bogtown, great pics! Love hydrangeas! I have quite a bit of evergreen plants for my chickens to hang out under. Especially important in case of ariel attack! I also have a few pallets I've leaned up against my fence & planted with native red honeysuckle. The red honeysuckle isn't invasive like the Asian stuff and is evergreen here during the winter. All this in an attempt to provide cover from hawks. We have a ton around here. Ive been lucky so far....knock on wood. Anyone else providing cover for your birds? Always looking for good ideas i can incorporate into the yard.

Back
Top Bottom