Langshan Thread!!!

What all do you have in there?

Mine are hatching today too. I had 14 eggs: my Black Langshan rooster over Black and White Langshan hens. 4 of the WL hens' chicks are out and one of the BL's. Oh, and I put 3 WL eggs from the incubator under my broody BL hen, and she hatched two of them!
1f60a.png
(She smashed the other one.
sad.png
)
jumpy.gif
Congrats!!! I love hatching eggs! I'm not sure how many I have right now. I think that there are around 17 and a few more zips & pips. They are from my blue over blue pen. The Langshan chicks are mostly blue and splash. I see one black chick in the bunch and 2 Pita Pinta. I need to move the rowdy chicks to the brooder but there are 3 chicks zipping right now and I don't want to mess them up.

jumpy.gif
Congrats!!! I love hatching eggs! I'm not sure how many I have right now. I think that there are around 17 and a few more zips & pips. They are from my blue over blue pen. The Langshan chicks are mostly blue and splash. I see one black chick in the bunch and 2 Pita Pinta. I need to move the rowdy chicks to the brooder but there are 3 chicks zipping right now and I don't want to mess them up.
So in theory an all blue mating would yield 50% blues, 25% black and 25% splash. Would be interested in your final tally.

What is Pita Pinta? That's why I asked, because I thought maybe you had different breeds of chicks hatching.
It is a rare Spanish breed. Medium sized large dual purpose breed. I have the black and white motled ones.There is a group in Spain that is working on their recovery. There are very few of them in the US and the majority of the breeders are here in California.

So in theory an all blue mating would yield 50% blues, 25% black and 25% splash. Would be interested in your final tally.
So the count is 2 black, 8 blue, 5 splash, and 2 that are either splash or light blue. They are the cutest little fluff balls!!!

Last edited:
I guess I better practice what I preach! Here are photos of my hatch. 14 eggs were fertile, 12 made it to lockdown, and every chick hatched except I gave three to my broody hen, and she smashed one before it finished hatching. So here are the 9 from the incubator.

There are 5 whose mothers are white Langshans and 4 from black langshan mothers. All the same dad.

It's interesting. Several of the chicks that hatched from the white langshan eggs have a lot more white on them than the others. I've hatched those eggs before, and they didn't look like these. I suppose it its just normal variation. I expect them to be black carrying recessive white.

I guess I better practice what I preach! Here are photos of my hatch. 14 eggs were fertile, 12 made it to lockdown, and every chick hatched except I gave three to my broody hen, and she smashed one before it finished hatching. So here are the 9 from the incubator.

There are 5 whose mothers are white Langshans and 4 from black langshan mothers. All the same dad.

It's interesting. Several of the chicks that hatched from the white langshan eggs have a lot more white on them than the others. I've hatched those eggs before, and they didn't look like these. I suppose it its just normal variation. I expect them to be black carrying recessive white.
They are adorable!!! That is a fantastic hatch! My hatch count was 21 set for hatch, 17 hatched, 1 pipped & died, 3 didn't hatch. I'll try to get some pics today. I'm busy sewing costumes for a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream so not much spare time for anything. I would love to see some pics of the parents!

When we get moved to our property and get some new breeding pens set up, I'm going to try to locate some white or resessive white Langshan. I am dealing with some brassiness in my blues that develops after they have been out in the sun for some time. Mikaela told me that introducing white into my breeding program will take care of that.

17 out of 21 is pretty good too. Last year I had some humidity issues and for a while, I was lucky to get 50%. Doing things a little different this year, and it seems to help. :)

My stock is just hatchery. From Murray McMurray. I do have two SQ hens from a breeder. Those are my black ones. I think they are much prettier than my two white hens, but they are not as reliable egg layers, and they are always going broody. Last year I couldn't get any of their eggs to hatch. I think they were too porous. This year they are doing much better with their eggs. I've been meaning to ask @rodriguezpoultry if that is because they are two years old now.

But my white hatchery hens are only 11 months old, and they have great fertility and hatch rates. I'll have to take photos of the moms I don't seem to have any good ones.

Oh, I found this photo from Christmastime.

Yeah, need to take new ones.

Last edited:
17 out of 21 is pretty good too. Last year I had some humidity issues and for a while, I was lucky to get 50%. Doing things a little different this year, and it seems to help.
smile.png

My stock is just hatchery. From Murray McMurray. I do have two SQ hens from a breeder. Those are my black ones. I think they are much prettier than my two white hens, but they are not as reliable egg layers, and they are always going broody. Last year I couldn't get any of their eggs to hatch. I think they were too porous. This year they are doing much better with their eggs. I've been meaning to ask @rodriguezpoultry if that is because they are two years old now.

But my white hatchery hens are only 11 months old, and they have great fertility and hatch rates. I'll have to take photos of the moms I don't seem to have any good ones.

Oh, I found this photo from Christmastime.
Yeah, need to take new ones.
So what are you doing differently this year? My first Langshan was a blue from a hatchery. I fell in love with the breed because she was such a beautiful and fun bird,

Back
Top Bottom