Langshan Thread!!!

Don't think we are bored by this! I personally love it because I am waiting on a cockerel that is now 6 months old to start to look like a cockerel instead of a lump of chicken. When he's done, he'll be a dandy though. As for the tsik, completely normal. My males never get those top main tail feathers and top sickled until they are WELL into maturity.
Thank you, good to know.

I agree with Mikaela. This boy is a year old soon, and his sickles has come the last few weeks. He is not much to look at, but he is all I have, as I have had to sell everything, as my legs are getting so bad now, I can hardly walk. But, he will do, he can breed with the two hens I have kept back.

I agree with Mikaela. This boy is a year old soon, and his sickles has come the last few weeks. He is not much to look at, but he is all I have, as I have had to sell everything, as my legs are getting so bad now, I can hardly walk. But, he will do, he can breed with the two hens I have kept back.

What do you all think about these gals and roo. They are all 9 months old, and all my son's 4-H projects. He hopes to breed them. This is Shadow. Belle on the left and Shadow on the right. Dragon.
Both pullets have long backs and low tails according to the standard. Although "Belle" is not as severe in these photos No idea what a "roo" is but the cockerel has a bit better back length, looks like his tail is still filling in so can't comment on that too much. I think they all have decent heads and hold their necks well. They don't look stilty legged, which is good. It will take a really good cock to correct the flaws in the pullets, if you're serious about breeding them, I might wait another month or two to see the cockerel fill in more but I would suspect you might want to find a better male. If you're determined to breed for these specific birds, you'll really want to cull the offspring hard to correct the back line.

Thank you for your help. There aren't many around here who have Langshans, but Grandma got a pair of whites a couple of years ago. The kids LOVED their proud look and wanted some like them for their 4-H birds. My son wanted the blacks. They also have more than a dozen whites, but they are only 4 months old.

Anyone know if there are any good Langshan breeders in South Central Kansas around the Wichita area?

Thank you for your help.  There aren't many around here who have Langshans, but Grandma got a pair of whites a couple of years ago.  The kids LOVED their proud look and wanted some like them for their 4-H birds.  My son wanted the blacks.  They also have more than a dozen whites, but they are only 4 months old.

Anyone know if there are any good Langshan breeders in South Central Kansas around the Wichita area?

Mikaela (username: rodriguezpoultry) who posts on this thread is just down south of you in Oklahoma and has some pretty nice birds. That's certainly who I'd talk to in that part of the country.

Langshans are awesome and make great projects for the youth too, a bit large but very easy going generally.

Thanks BGMatt! I was actually debating on selling a pair or trio that I don't think will help with my breeding but may help with a beginner. They have the genetics, just aren't what I need to better my flock. It'd be a blue male, black female and/or a blue female.

Back
Top Bottom