Langshan Thread!!!

ETA: So sorry for your loss. Sucks when that happens. How hot did it get up there? Maybe mine are more attuned to it because the original line came from hot temps?

I absolutely would if I could. The temps have pretty much put a stop to any LF eggs being fertile at this point. When it cools down I'm sure I"ll have some available. Thanks to broodies, I probably won't need to keep any to hatch for myself later on...

That sucks, sorry for your loss. This heat has been hard on the birds down in this part of the state too.
Thank you both very much
hugs.gif

It was hitting 90 for a few days in a row, everyone was doing very good. Getting extra frozen treats 2x a day, cold swimming pool/drinking area. Yule was fine in the morning when I checked on everyone. It just hit him like a ton of bricks by evening, his leg got stiff the day after and he just couldn't pull it back together.
You're probably right, their early environment would have a factor in how they handle the heat. Probably the fact that we had such a really cold and long start to the spring and summer up here, then to suddenly be hitting the 80s and 90s was just too much of a variance.
I read somewhere that one strategy to employ in hot areas like Texas is to freeze 2 liter bottles of water and stick them in the coop or tractor for the chickens to use as a sort of chicken air conditioning.

My Langshans (3) are now about 3-4 weeks old and I heard a sound I'd never heard before. One of them did a chirp but it was like a rapid fire dozen or more chirps in one which sounded freaky when I heard it I was stunned by the sound and wondered which one did this. Is this common for a young rooster maybe to start making this multi-chirping like this?
I love that funky clicking, and the Langshan and Dorking have the most awesome of sounds in my opinion
smile.png

That looks a good color. In fact the correct color is not pink, as many seems to think. It is plum/peach, with that dusting that is the special characteristic, so your egg is neat perfect, I think. Dont be disapointed when all her eggs are not quite like that, that is just normal. As long as she has a healthy diet, nothing you feed her will influence the color of the egg. The eggs from the whites will never get as good as that egg, I dont know about the blues. Anybody with blues please comment on that? Do you have egg-classes on the shows in the US?

So came across something you all might appreciate. I knew Australorps were derived from Orpingtons but what I did not know but had suspicions was that Orpingtons were derived from a short legged mutation of the Langshan parent breed. My first suspicion was when I noticed the Australorps and Langshans both had pink between their toes on their feet and looked remarkably similar. So similar that when the Langshans arrived my one Australorp Hen immediately claimed them as her babies and protected and looked after them.

Source of chicken trivia was from here..
http://albc-usa.org/cpl/langshan.html
They came from a line of Orpingtons from Australia. That is why they are called AustraORPS. As in Australian Orpingtons.

That looks a good color. In fact the correct color is not pink, as many seems to think. It is plum/peach, with that dusting that is the special characteristic, so your egg is neat perfect, I think. Dont be disapointed when all her eggs are not quite like that, that is just normal. As long as she has a healthy diet, nothing you feed her will influence the color of the egg. The eggs from the whites will never get as good as that egg, I dont know about the blues. Anybody with blues please comment on that? Do you have egg-classes on the shows in the US?
There is only one APA sanctioned show near where I live that I've attended 3 or 4 times. I've never seen any egg judging there, and I've never noticed any standard in the SOP. However county and state fairs, as well as various festivals, do judge eggs. The ones I've attended recently seem enamored with the Marans egg. Its still a bit of a novelty here. I was just thinking today about a Plymouth Rock hen that I once owned who on two occasions laid a 4 oz egg. It was so large I felt compelled to catch her and make sure she wasn't injured. She wasn't.
My sole splash Langshan pullet should be laying in the next month. I'll report in with an egg picture.

There is only one APA sanctioned show near where I live that I've attended 3 or 4 times. I've never seen any egg judging there, and I've never noticed any standard in the SOP. However county and state fairs, as well as various festivals, do judge eggs. The ones I've attended recently seem enamored with the Marans egg. Its still a bit of a novelty here. I was just thinking today about a Plymouth Rock hen that I once owned who on two occasions laid a 4 oz egg. It was so large I felt compelled to catch her and make sure she wasn't injured. She wasn't.
My sole splash Langshan pullet should be laying in the next month. I'll report in with an egg picture.

Back
Top Bottom