Langshan Thread!!!

T
Seconding rodriguezpoultry about the Langshan is a Langshan is a Langshan thing.  Only reason the word Croad is added in europe is they have other Langshan breeds over there that they created by crossing Langshan to other things, we do not.  Anyway on to comments...

I really like his depth of body.  He could use a little more leg.  Tail angle is spot on and my new pet peeve sickle length is good.  He doesn't have a lot of extra fluff which is a nice thing to see.  It's a minor thing but his comb is a bit on the large side.  The above picture is a bit blurry, but he appears to have adequate width and doesn't appear to narrow too much at either end.  Only other thing I really see to comment on is his chest could fill out a little bit more, but that will come with age.  Overall a pretty nice bird with what can be seen from these photos.
thank you so much. I will get some better ones tomorrow. I was looking down when taking the pic so makes his legs look shorter I think

We have a VERY fertile lav Ameraucana rooster and/or a very long holding FBCMarans hen. After waiting 5-6 weeks from an Olive Egger breeding pen to a pure Marans pen, I still ended up with some olive egger chicks. Customer who purchased them at 8 weeks (they were all still solid black and all looked the same, like pure marans) wasn't happy and I refunded the money.

Did a little research and found it is also possible that roosters can be more fertile than average and hens can retain viable sperm for several MONTHS. It isn’t common but it DOES happen. See FAQ #33 on the University of Kentucky Poultry Extension website here: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/FAQ.html#Q33

If you want to be 100% certain that all of you chicks will be pure, then don't mix them, ever. If you do mix your flocks at some point, sell the chicks when they are older, perhaps POL, when you can pull out any that might not be pure. Odds are slim, but they are still there.

Did you ask him yet?
Sorry to go on.

If you have your final chicks hatch in March ( Winter ) then they are 8 weeks at the end of April ( Spring ) then they are already coming into lay on August ( middle of Summer ).
Sorry If I am getting confused with the calender months but it just doesn't add up?!?!

Fall, I would say more later October than August. It's still crazy hot in August.

Did you ask him yet?
Sorry to go on.

If you have your final chicks hatch in March ( Winter ) then they are 8 weeks at the end of April ( Spring ) then they are already coming into lay on August ( middle of Summer ).
Sorry If I am getting confused with the calender months but it just doesn't add up?!?!

Yeah, he just waits two weeks.

Depends on breed. But I do try to select for laying during their 6 month. Sometimes Langshans will go longer especially if fast growth has not been selected for. If they hatch in March they should be laying around September. Feb hatch in August, and Jan hatched birds laying in July. I'm ok with that timeframe. At least some of those birds will lay through winter and all of then should be ready for breeding if needed Jan-March of the next year. Their first big molt interferes with spring show season often that way but that's just the way it goes.

this is not about langshans in particular but exactly what do you do if you trade out chickens in the breeding pen. like say i have a flock of 5 langshans and i get new hens what do i do if i want to keep the other hens for showing.

The first batch of hens that you want in show condition would need to be kept away from any roosters. They will obviously trash their feathers. Once they are separated pull any broken/damaged feathers so fresh feathers will grow in. Show birds need a slightly different diet. Give them BOSS to get their feathers nice and shiny. Calf Manna is a good thing to add in since it has lots of protein and will aid in feather quality. I think this year when I separate out my hens/rooster I will give them Manna pro show bird conditioner too. Heard a lot of good things and want to try and see if it works. Make sure shavings are kept clean and dry. This is especially necessary for feather footed breeds.

what do you all think about a coop with a main sleeping area with the nesting boxes in it, and and a yard with a floor a little above the ground with wire as a floor so grass can grow up through it or at least close enough for the chickens to reach it, and a wire floor in the sleeping area with a tray like is in a parrot cage so the poo can fall through it into the tray. and one roost. the coop would be big enough for five chickens comfortably.

what do you all think about a coop with a main sleeping area with the nesting boxes in it, and and a yard with a floor a little above the ground with wire as a floor so grass can grow up through it or at least close enough for the chickens to reach it, and a wire floor in the sleeping area with a tray like is in a parrot cage so the poo can fall through it into the tray. and one roost. the coop would be big enough for five chickens comfortably.

I think that a wire floor and feather legged birds is a horrible combination. Clean legged birds? Go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom