Langshan Thread!!!

I have three and they are quite possibly my favorite chickens - ordered some Jersey Giants to compare to them - been thinking of a good cross for them to try - maybe Giants or Australorps but not sure what would be best - anyone tried any good crosses with Langshan breed?

You can't improve on perfection. Wouldn't mess around with crossing them.

Giants and Australorps both owe much of their heritage to the Langshan and were created with heavy use of the Langshan.

I want to thank Dirt Farmer for the beautiful LF black cock and hens that I got from him on Sunday! Lincoln and his girls were quiet on the drive home but were happy to finally reach the farm! When we set them free in their pen, Lincoln proceeded to own the space while the girls followed him around. We are working on pens at the farm on Saturday and I'll take my camera to snap some pics. I'm curious to see how he compares in size with Shang.

Last edited:
pop.gif

Our thread has been quiet lately. Hmmm....maybe it is time to post a few chick pics! I have a cute little splash girl who is 7 weeks old. Maybe I can get her to stand still for me this afternoon and snap a pic or two of her. I also have the first chick from the black langshan trio that I bought from Sherry Parker. He (definitely a he) is also 7 weeks old. The differences are amazing. He looks like a dinosaur and is still not feathered out. Talk about a slow developer!

I want to thank Dirt Farmer for the beautiful LF black cock and hens that I got from him on Sunday! Lincoln and his girls were quiet on the drive home but were happy to finally reach the farm! When we set them free in their pen, Lincoln proceeded to own the space while the girls followed him around. We are working on pens at the farm on Saturday and I'll take my camera to snap some pics. I'm curious to see how he compares in size with Shang.
I'm glad he found a home. I don't think he's terribly big, but he does present as broad. The other cockerels he was penned with are heavier but narrower looking due to greater height. This adoption may come as a surprise to people following the thread, but I needed to take a break from the noise for my neighbors. I'll keep a layer flock and reassess in a year.

I'm glad he found a home. I don't think he's terribly big, but he does present as broad. The other cockerels he was penned with are heavier but narrower looking due to greater height. This adoption may come as a surprise to people following the thread, but I needed to take a break from the noise for my neighbors. I'll keep a layer flock and reassess in a year.
Hopefully, in a year if you decide you want to start with them again, I'll have some nice stock for you.
wink.png

Okay, here are pics of two of my 7 week old chicks. The splash pullet is from my farm flock that isn't separated for breeding yet. I have a splash rooster, two blue roosters, one splash hen, and several blue hens. The black chick is the first one hatched from Shang and one of his two girls. I have several more of their chicks that are younger. I have noticed that they are very slow developing in comparison to the other Langshans that I have. They all look like little dinosaurs. I'm hoping that they aren't all boys!

Sweet little Splash pullet

This is Shang's first baby boy! His eyes look a little light so I'm watching that.

Okay, here are pics of two of my 7 week old chicks. The splash pullet is from my farm flock that isn't separated for breeding yet. I have a splash rooster, two blue roosters, one splash hen, and several blue hens. The black chick is the first one hatched from Shang and one of his two girls. I have several more of their chicks that are younger. I have noticed that they are very slow developing in comparison to the other Langshans that I have. They all look like little dinosaurs. I'm hoping that they aren't all boys!

Sweet little Splash pullet

This is Shang's first baby boy! His eyes look a little light so I'm watching that.

That's a lot of feathering on that splash for such a young age! I love the awkward dinosaur stage btw. Nice little cockerel in the second picture

That's a lot of feathering on that splash for such a young age! I love the awkward dinosaur stage btw. Nice little cockerel in the second picture
So, what does that mean? I have 3 blue chicks (1 cockerel & 2 pullets) that also have lots of feathers like the Splash. All of the chicks from my field Langshans feather out fast unlike my black trio from Sherry (James Smith line). These two chicks were part of the same hatch but different breeding lines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom