Langshan Thread!!!

I have a friend who breeds black Jersey Giants. She takes the boys out to the farm where my breeder birds and extra Langshans are. We had a black JG running with the black Langshans until processing day. I always had to look for the feathered legs & feet to tell which was which. Now we only have the Langshans left which makes things easier.
smile.png

Giants were developed using Langshans, they don't have the wonderful tails though. I always tease my Giant breeding friends about when are they gonna get some real big birds (in this case defining big with height), then politely decline when they offer to go grab the scale. LOL

Might read through the description of Marans and Langshans to compare
http://chickenbreedslist.com/Chicken-Breeds.html
(just scroll down to the chicken type names)

One of the big obvious things is also the height - Langshans are very tall birds with feathers on their feet.  Only thing they could be confused with is maybe black giants which have no feathers on their feet or Brahma's which have feathered feet but don't come in the solid black color that I have ever seen.
. I'm pretty sure I just created a Black Brahama :x.

. I'm pretty sure I just created a Black Brahama :x.
Not sure how you would tell a Black Brahma apart from a Langshan. Beak color maybe? Skin color under the feathers or leg color perhaps? I've got three Langshans and only one has those really dark colorings around the beak and face

@informative I was kind of joking... I don't believe three is such a thing as a Black Brahama. Albeit, I may have just created one! The chick in the picture is the result of crossing my Black Copper Marans hen with my Buff Brahama roo.

Not sure how you would tell a Black Brahma apart from a Langshan.  Beak color maybe?  Skin color under the feathers or leg color perhaps?  I've got three Langshans and only one has those really dark colorings around the beak and face

Brahmas are much different conformation wise. They are heavier birds with a more level top line, thicker heavier set skulls, pea combs, feathers on both outer and middle toes and have yellow legs.

Brahmas come in three colors (although regrettably there are some non-standard colors being "worked" on) those are: Dark (which is the silver pencilled pattern), Light (Colombian pattern) and Buff (also the Columbian pattern). The American Bantam Association DOES recognize a solid Black Brahma in the bantam size as well.

Back
Top Bottom