Langshan Thread!!!

Thank you that does help I have see. What Au
Yes, I see the feathers on their feet, I'm just saying that the presence of feathers on the feet doesn't mean their whole body is going to change to match the expected shape typical for the breed if they lack it already. If they're growing in a different shape than what is normal for the breed, it's unlikely that they will end up the correct breed shape after puberty. I don't know of a single breed that develops into its proper shape only as an adult, they show it from a young age onwards. But it's common enough to get purebred birds from hatcheries that will never meet the breed standard, but which nonetheless are from that breed. Interestingly enough, some of the 'Australorps' I see on this site are basically Langshans. Even the thread about breeding Australorps to SOP shows birds basically identical to Langshans, minus leg feathers, lol! Which only goes to show that what passes for purebred in any given country may not look like the purebreds in any other country. I live in the country Australorps originated from and what we call an Australorp here does not look like a Langshan at all. Here, purebred Australorps are not 'round' birds at all. They look more like the bids you see via this link: Here's an image which shows the body type I am referring to --- more like proper Australorp type, which without the foot feathers I would have thought your chicks are. I hope this clears up the confusion. Best wishes. It all make sence now I have see. What AUSTALORA Look like on here to and other sites they are a nice looking Chickens. But my Langshan Have a U shape to them to me they all about the same Size as they are growing. Thank you for showing me the pic of what Ausrtlora look like.

SHARING MORE PICS OF MY LANGSHAN CHICKS you can see feathers on their feet

Yep, they definitely have some fluffy feet on them, no doubt about it.

The physical differences and similarities in the range of birds on this site (and others) described as either 'Australorps' or 'Langshans' is very conflicting, I would guess it would make more sense to describe some as being Australian-type Langshan or Australorp, and others as being American-type Langshan or Australorp, lol!

Best wishes with your birds, they will probably look very handsome when they are grown.

Yep, they definitely have some fluffy feet on them, no doubt about it.

The physical differences and similarities in the range of birds on this site (and others) described as either 'Australorps' or 'Langshans' is very conflicting, I would guess it would make more sense to describe some as being Australian-type Langshan or Australorp, and others as being American-type Langshan or Australorp, lol!

Best wishes with your birds, they will probably look very handsome when they are grown.
Thank you I am having fun with My Langshan they so pretty to me now I can't wait to see what they will look all grown up and hoping for one of them to be a Roo But they might be all Pullets just have to wait and see. See I am from The USA So Langshan might look differte here. They are type American Langshan. I will am having fun with My chicks and thank you

The B-line chicks are now four months old. The two males were culled and this is the only pullet. She's an improvement on her dam w/better tail set and fullness but I'm thinking her back is still a little too long. Nice deep body/breast. Any opinions to offer? BTW, she looks more short in this photo than she is due to the camera angle. I'm going to back cross her to her sire to see if there is any more improvement. There is one more hatch of this line coming up, but they're still too young to tell much except that the boys are VERY slow feathering, which I don't particularly like.

And the broody pullet twins finally hatched their eggs, but all three of the chicks that have hatched so far have died. I'm beginning to think they are less broody and more hiding from the cockerel. Going to turn him out with the layer flock to give them a break. Gathering their eggs for another few days to put in the incubator so I can get a hatch from the original trio at last.

The B-line chicks are now four months old. The two males were culled and this is the only pullet. She's an improvement on her dam w/better tail set and fullness but I'm thinking her back is still a little too long. Nice deep body/breast. Any opinions to offer? BTW, she looks more short in this photo than she is due to the camera angle. I'm going to back cross her to her sire to see if there is any more improvement. There is one more hatch of this line coming up, but they're still too young to tell much except that the boys are VERY slow feathering, which I don't particularly like.

And the broody pullet twins finally hatched their eggs, but all three of the chicks that have hatched so far have died. I'm beginning to think they are less broody and more hiding from the cockerel. Going to turn him out with the layer flock to give them a break. Gathering their eggs for another few days to put in the incubator so I can get a hatch from the original trio at last.

From my limited experience, the younger birds that appeared a little flat in the back/tail, turned out with the best back line. The ones I thought were best as youngsters, eventually wound up with an abrupt break at the tail (too vertical or not smoothly shaped).

I've said it elsewhere but I love this bird's head. Has the makings of a well balanced bird as well, and good body depth.

From my limited experience, the younger birds that appeared a little flat in the back/tail, turned out with the best back line. The ones I thought were best as youngsters, eventually wound up with an abrupt break at the tail (too vertical or not smoothly shaped).

In my not so limited experience I agree with everything Dirt Farmer said here.

Back
Top Bottom