Langshan Thread!!!

I'm VERY new to owning chickens, but I've fallen totally for the Langshan breed. My 6 9 week old chicks came from TSC, so I'm sure they're not best quality, but I love them anyway. But as I go forward, I would like to learn how to improve my line.

So far, I'm just happy that they're all alive, that they're growing and looking health, although there's a large size difference amongst them. It hadn't yet occurred to me that they might have defects I don't know about!

Please tell me what to look for. I've read pages and pages of this thread in the last week, but don't understand some of it. G

Also, my Langshans are skittish. My blue roo is the most easily handled of them all. My black roo needs to be handled much more often to get used to me. They'll all eat clover out of my hand, but run like crazy chickens if I try to touch them, but I keep working with them.
Any suggestions on how or what I should do to help them like me more?

And about culling, are there any things I should be looking for as far as deformities that I should cull? Anything obviously not Langshan? Because I would like someday to show I really good Langshan. I have a blue roo, and two blue pullets, plus a pullet that looks like she will have some blue and some black. I also have a big black roo with gorgeous iridescence and a little pullet still working on getting all her feathers in, but she going to be beautiful. Even if she's not the right shape;/

I'll continue to read the thread. It's like a Masterclass in Langshan;)

If the clover is all they get in the way of greens they can be overly keen and overdose on it. Depending on what type of clover it is, that can be fatal.

Best wishes.

I'm VERY new to owning chickens, but I've fallen totally for the Langshan breed. My 6 9 week old chicks came from TSC, so I'm sure they're not best quality, but I love them anyway. But as I go forward, I would like to learn how to improve my line.

So far, I'm just happy that they're all alive, that they're growing and looking health, although there's a large size difference amongst them. It hadn't yet occurred to me that they might have defects I don't know about!

Please tell me what to look for. I've read pages and pages of this thread in the last week, but don't understand some of it. G

Also, my Langshans are skittish. My blue roo is the most easily handled of them all. My black roo needs to be handled much more often to get used to me. They'll all eat clover out of my hand, but run like crazy chickens if I try to touch them, but I keep working with them.
Any suggestions on how or what I should do to help them like me more?

And about culling, are there any things I should be looking for as far as deformities that I should cull? Anything obviously not Langshan? Because I would like someday to show I really good Langshan. I have a blue roo, and two blue pullets, plus a pullet that looks like she will have some blue and some black. I also have a big black roo with gorgeous iridescence and a little pullet still working on getting all her feathers in, but she going to be beautiful. Even if she's not the right shape;/

I'll continue to read the thread. It's like a Masterclass in Langshan;)
For culling at a young age, some things to look for are split combs (combs that don't line up in a straight line along the skull) curled toes, crooked beaks. Mainly at a young age, you're looking for obvious things. Things that you absolutely don't want to deal with in the future.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't grow them out and have them as layers, however anything that will create problems in the legs, go ahead and cull now. Langshans are a large breed and weak legs will do nothing but cause you to cull a bird that should have been culled long before because it can no longer walk.

For culling at a young age, some things to look for are split combs (combs that don't line up in a straight line along the skull) curled toes, crooked beaks. Mainly at a young age, you're looking for obvious things. Things that you absolutely don't want to deal with in the future. 

Now, that doesn't mean you can't grow them out and have them as layers, however anything that will create problems in the legs, go ahead and cull now. Langshans are a large breed and weak legs will do nothing but cause you to cull a bird that should have been culled long before because it can no longer walk.

Non of mine appear to have any gross defects like that. They all appear legal thy and eating well, abler to nimbly move around, fly short distances..
So I'm glad to hear that I shouldn't need to cull for any of those you mentioned. They all seem to have good strong legs, beautifully feathery legs;) but good strong. They're all up and running around most of the day.
I have started letting them out of the run to peck at the grass and such for just a few minutes before dusk. I'm still very nervous about it so I stay right there. They love being out, but I can only tolerate it for very long due to my fear of losing one. My mini dachshund is Really good with them. They hardly notice her now;) but I'm just so nervous about the possibility if neighbors dogs coming round, that I stay right out there with them..

Here's a question.....how old is a Langshan roo when he starts to crowš so far, I'm only hearing creeps, but they're just 9 weeks old.

Non of mine appear to have any gross defects like that. They all appear legal thy and eating well, abler to nimbly move around, fly short distances..
So I'm glad to hear that I shouldn't need to cull for any of those you mentioned. They all seem to have good strong legs, beautifully feathery legs;) but good strong. They're all up and running around most of the day.
I have started letting them out of the run to peck at the grass and such for just a few minutes before dusk. I'm still very nervous about it so I stay right there. They love being out, but I can only tolerate it for very long due to my fear of losing one. My mini dachshund is Really good with them. They hardly notice her now;) but I'm just so nervous about the possibility if neighbors dogs coming round, that I stay right out there with them..

Here's a question.....how old is a Langshan roo when he starts to crowš so far, I'm only hearing creeps, but they're just 9 weeks old. /

Can definitely understand the apprehension with the dogs. Maybe building a small flight/run area would be an idea?

As for the crowing, it really varies. I have cockerels that wait 10 months to crow, others go spot on 7 months.

Another thing you could cull for at an early age is size. If you have some that are falling behind you can go ahead and get rid of them. I had three( brahmas ) today that were three weeks old and looked more like the one to two week olds with more feathers. Got the hatchet out for them.

Hi, I hatched a barnyard mix of ehgs and one of the possibilities was Langshan. The chick came from a tan/cream colored egg and has clean legs, I think it's a blue/splash color?? Let me know what you think, I know nothing about this breed but the chick is very pretty!

Back
Top Bottom