Langshan Thread!!!

Just got my first Langshan from a friend who was downsizing her laying flock. Question...what "type" of Langshan is this? She had some others that had smaller bodies, but I fell in love with the BIG girls with the shiny blak/green feathers. I'm new to this, so any comments are appreciated.

Congrats to your new girl!! I absolutely love my langshans. I believe in American they are for the most part, Croad langshans. I could be completely wrong though. There are a ton of people on this thread that have a ton of knowledge. Lol...I started with one and then I had to get another, they are so sweet. :thumbsup

Congrats to your new girl!! I absolutely love my langshans. I believe in American they are for the most part, Croad langshans. I could be completely wrong though. There are a ton of people on this thread that have a ton of knowledge. Lol...I started with one and then I had to get another, they are so sweet. :thumbsup

Im already planning to add on to my coop
1f60a.png
I started out last Spring thinking 6 chickens would be plenty. I have 10 now and I want to get more babies this Spring!

....They are addicting! ...

More truthful words were never spoken! I LOVE mine. Not only are they beautiful, they have wonderful personalities as well.

I ordered 4 as straight run with my hatchery order last year to see if I would like them. They are some of the quietest and calmest birds in my flock (other than the blue cochin hen). I ended up with 2 male and 2 female Langshans. The original goal was to keep the cockerel I liked better, but I ended up keeping both of them since they are so awesome. If things work out with timing this year I would like to get more Langshans.

I think that is probably the biggest indicator of how great a breed is, whether you would get them again.

I just posted some pics of my cockerels on FB and thought that I would share here, too. I have narrowed them down to 4 black, 1 blue, and 1 splash. The smaller black and the splash are both younger birds by several weeks.

Black cockerel 1 out of Shang and his girls

Along with my Rhode Island Red cockerel.

My younger cockerel who hatched from eggs that Mikaela sent me.

ĵ.

And one of the two of them together.

This is my blue cockerel and I'm hoping to introduce blue and splash coloring into my flock through him and my splash cockerel.

And lastly, this is my young splash. He has a lot of growing to do and I need to make sure he doesn't have wry tail.

Last edited:
I just posted some pics of my cockerels on FB and thought that I would share here, too. I have narrowed them down to 4 black, 1 blue, and 1 splash. The smaller black and the splash are both younger birds by several weeks. Black cockerel 1 out of Shang and his girls Along with my Rhode Island Red cockerel. My younger cockerel who hatched from eggs that Mikaela sent me. ĵ. And one of the two of them together. This is my blue cockerel and I'm hoping to introduce blue and splash coloring into my flock through him and my splash cockerel. And lastly, this is my young splash. He has a lot of growing to do and I need to make sure he doesn't have wry tail.
What beautiful birds!! Priscilla is still my sweetest chicken!

There were only 3 large fowl black Langshan in the Modesto poultry show. All 3 (2 hens & 1 pullet) were owned by Sherry Parker. I had to leave before they were judged but I'm hoping that Sherry posts pics here or on FB.

There were only 3 large fowl black Langshan in the Modesto poultry show. All 3 (2 hens & 1 pullet) were owned by Sherry Parker. I had to leave before they were judged but I'm hoping that Sherry posts pics here or on FB.
I liked the size on the birds that were there, looked like they were up to, if not over, standard. There didn't seem to be as many large fowl this year of any breed. There were plenty of bantams but I forgot to look for the Langshan bantams In general I only take a cursory look at the bantams. There were no Langshans in the sales area when I got there mid morning on Saturday either.The new venue was very nice, I wonder if the influenza thing kept people home.

I liked the size on the birds that were there, looked like they were up to, if not over, standard. There didn't seem to be as many large fowl this year of any breed. There were plenty of bantams but I forgot to look for the Langshan bantams In general I only take a cursory look at the bantams. There were no Langshans in the sales area when I got there mid morning on Saturday either.The new venue was very nice, I wonder if the influenza thing kept people home.
There weren't any bantam Langshan except for one little girl who was entered by mistake in the LF category. Sherry's girls looked so much like mine which makes sense since I got my breeding trio from her last year. I got there before 10 and didn't see any Langshan in the sales area.

Back
Top Bottom