Langshan Thread!!!

I'm getting blue Langshans in May ! I can't wait to work with this breed. Any pointers for me? I got them from a person that shows and as they will be chicks I want to be able to pick out the best and ones to sop. I have a sop book but I have to find it in the box I packed it in when we moved. I hope to get a show pair of the blacks too.
Anyway hope y'all will give pointers and help when I get them and they start growing out.

Langshans need space to grow out properly. This is something even seasoned breeders sometimes forget, they can be slow to mature but the more stress free you can keep them as they're growing out the faster, bigger, and better they will finish out. Don't over crowd them, raise pullets and cockerels seperately as quickly as you can determine gender, multiple feed and water stations (that are always full), and plenty of room to exercise are all key factors in letting them reach their genetic potential.

The secret to Blue Langshans is to let the color happen on its own (other than things like browning, red leakage etc), exact tone and lacing and such are very unstable, it's just how the gene works. Focus on type first above all else, then feather quality and of course production qualities and you'll be on your way to quality Blues. Most people go wrong when they focus on color and that's why often in this breed and others you'll see blues that are smaller, poorer type, and have "shredding" in feathers.

Edit: Also will second the suggestion especially if you're new to breed to grow out as many as you have space for all the way to maturity. Years down the road you may learn to identify birds that are inferior at younger and younger ages, but until you learn that ability, the more you can grow out to maturity the safer and better off you are. 16+ of my 23 years in poultry are with Langshans and I still prefer to not make any selections until at least 5-6 months of age (this is a great butchering age for cockerels too, which may or may not play into the decision)

Last edited:
Langshans need space to grow out properly. This is something even seasoned breeders sometimes forget, they can be slow to mature but the more stress free you can keep them as they're growing out the faster, bigger, and better they will finish out. Don't over crowd them, raise pullets and cockerels seperately as quickly as you can determine gender, multiple feed and water stations (that are always full), and plenty of room to exercise are all key factors in letting them reach their genetic potential.

The secret to Blue Langshans is to let the color happen on its own (other than things like browning, red leakage etc), exact tone and lacing and such are very unstable, it's just how the gene works. Focus on type first above all else, then feather quality and of course production qualities and you'll be on your way to quality Blues. Most people go wrong when they focus on color and that's why often in this breed and others you'll see blues that are smaller, poorer type, and have "shredding" in feathers.

Edit: Also will second the suggestion especially if you're new to breed to grow out as many as you have space for all the way to maturity. Years down the road you may learn to identify birds that are inferior at younger and younger ages, but until you learn that ability, the more you can grow out to maturity the safer and better off you are. 16+ of my 23 years in poultry are with Langshans and I still prefer to not make any selections until at least 5-6 months of age (this is a great butchering age for cockerels too, which may or may not play into the decision)

Thanks so basically they are not that much different on growing and coloring as the blue jersey Giants I bred them for a few years and was showing them. I have plenty of room and feeders so that won't be a issue. I will grow them out till about a year old before I pick my breeders. As long as no leakage I will be working on the body of them. Thank you again for your reply. I have always been drawn to them at the shows and I can wait to see how they turn out.
I would also like to thank pet rock for your reply too! Congrats on your hatch

This hatch has been the craziest one that I have ever had. Loaded 15 eggs in my Brinsea and all 15 developed. I have 14 chicks running around in the brooder! The first pip happened a few hours before Day 21. 11 chicks hatched between Day 21 and 22. 3 more hatched between Day 22 and Day 23. At Day 18, I discovered that 1 of the eggs was upside down. That chick even hatched! 1 egg left and I candled it last night but wasn't sure if I saw movement or not. I decided to leave it in the incubator until this evening. A little while ago, I noticed that it has a pip in it! If it hatches, this will be my first 100% hatch! I was thinking about adjusting the temp up slightly but maybe I shouldn't mess with a good thing!

My first Langshan chick of the year:

And yes, I loaded dirty eggs in the incubator. I've gone back and forth on whether to wash or not. I've done both and compared hatches but haven't seen any great difference.

Penguin is her name, chosen by my daughter :)

Howdy! So I am new to chickens! We just got 9 baby chicks a few days ago, 1 being a black langshan, pictured above. I have a question.... do they feather differently then other breeds? The other 8 are about a week younger then her, but she looks kind of homely compared to the others. Was wondering if anyone remembers what their chicks looked like around 2 weeks of age. She has a bare bottom... all around her vent is bare... I see a few thick feather starts showing but nothing other then that. Her little tail feathers looked pretty ragged too.... is this normal? The other chicks who are younger still have fluffy bottoms but nice little tail feathers already in. I know she isn't getting pecked by the ones we have
... but was she possibly pecked by ones in the tank before we got her or is this normal growth?

Also I have noticed she lays down a lot compared to the others... she is quite a bit taller so it's like she tries to stay at their level lol... she eats and drinks just fine... maybe she is just more mature being twice as old?? Do different breeds nest more then others??

Thank you for any information. This was kind of a random adventurous thing last weekend (4-10-16 purchase date) when we got them so very new to the chick world!

Penguin is her name, chosen by my daughter
smile.png

Howdy! So I am new to chickens! We just got 9 baby chicks a few days ago, 1 being a black langshan, pictured above. I have a question.... do they feather differently then other breeds? The other 8 are about a week younger then her, but she looks kind of homely compared to the others. Was wondering if anyone remembers what their chicks looked like around 2 weeks of age. She has a bare bottom... all around her vent is bare... I see a few thick feather starts showing but nothing other then that. Her little tail feathers looked pretty ragged too.... is this normal? The other chicks who are younger still have fluffy bottoms but nice little tail feathers already in. I know she isn't getting pecked by the ones we have
... but was she possibly pecked by ones in the tank before we got her or is this normal growth?

Also I have noticed she lays down a lot compared to the others... she is quite a bit taller so it's like she tries to stay at their level lol... she eats and drinks just fine... maybe she is just more mature being twice as old?? Do different breeds nest more then others??

Thank you for any information. This was kind of a random adventurous thing last weekend (4-10-16 purchase date) when we got them so very new to the chick world!
welcome-byc.gif
and to the world of chicken ownership! Very cute chick with an adorable name! I raise Langshan and Pita Pinta. My Langshan feather in and mature at a slower rate than my Pita PInta. I have 14 of them that are almost 4 weeks old and only a few have tail feathers. I also have 2 two week old chicks that are being raised by mama Striker. Here is a pic of them.

And one of the little blue with mama bird. Her feathers are not looking very nice due to her broodiness.

Do you find your langshan chicks to be lazy? Mine just seems lazy compared to the other breeds. She lays down a lot... even to eat sometimes! I looked on the web but there isn't a lot of detailed info on stuff like that... she has really big wing feathers already... that picture was the first day we got her... the 10th... so she actually is quite a bit bigger already.... i was just really curious about the bare butt... she had it when we bought her so i didnt think too much about it. She has a few tail feathers but only the (excuse my english here cause i have no idea what the technical terms are) thick middle part with a few sprouts coming off them.... anyways... im sure each breed is different but she really stands out... could be just that she is older too...

Do you find your langshan chicks to be lazy? Mine just seems lazy compared to the other breeds. She lays down a lot... even to eat sometimes! I looked on the web but there isn't a lot of detailed info on stuff like that... she has really big wing feathers already... that picture was the first day we got her... the 10th... so she actually is quite a bit bigger already.... i was just really curious about the bare butt... she had it when we bought her so i didnt think too much about it. She has a few tail feathers but only the (excuse my english here cause i have no idea what the technical terms are) thick middle part with a few sprouts coming off them.... anyways... im sure each breed is different but she really stands out... could be just that she is older too...
Do you have their feed raised up? They are tall chicks/birds so if your food is low, maybe she is just taking the easy way by laying down while she eats. Different breeds can be different as well as different chicks. My Langshan aren't quite as active as my medium sized Pita Pinta. I would just keep watching her and make sure she is eating, drinking, pooping, and not showing any signs of not feeling well (fluffed up and not active at all). Try raising a feeder up higher and see if that makes a difference. What are you feeding your chicks and do you use vitamins/probiotics in their water?

Do you have their feed raised up?  They are tall chicks/birds so if your food is low, maybe she is just taking the easy way by laying down while she eats.  Different breeds can be different as well as different chicks.  My Langshan aren't quite as active as my medium sized Pita Pinta.  I would just keep watching her and make sure she is eating, drinking, pooping, and not showing any signs of not feeling well (fluffed up and not active at all).  Try raising a feeder up higher and see if that makes a difference.  What are you feeding your chicks and do you use vitamins/probiotics in their water?

I do not have it raised up. It is just one of those long metal feeders with the holes in the lid. I did raise the waterer up so less bedding pellets would get in it.
We are feeding them the medicated chick starter and just regular tap water (we have a well, so not city water). Penguin doesnt seem sick, just different. She eats and drinks and poos and walks around. She isn't as hoppity as the others... i will take a couple pictures of her later and post .. like her bottom... like i said.. we are 100% new to chickens so it could be totally normal lol...i have never seen a chicken grow up and the feathering process so i could just be over analyzing it.

Last edited:
My langshan chick feathered way after my other breeds. I can't remember if she was acting like yours but she definitely was/is a different personality than my others. I love this breeed, they are very docile. Maybe your just seeing the easy going side of the breed. Just watch her and make sure she is acting her normal. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom