Laptop crashed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by seminolewind, Jan 18, 2013.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It's always something. I have never had a computer crash on me, never really knew what it was, well I know now! I've lost all the pictures that I had on there. Okay, 90% were chicken pictures, but still important to me.

I've just learned a good lesson. Backing up the stuff you have on your laptop is a good thing.

2. Agree, I'm writing a book on my laptop (110 pages long!) and I'm seriously considering keeping a back-up on a USB. You never know when something can happen.

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Have you already removed the hard drive, connected it to another machine, and got `squat'?

4. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

What's the hard drive ?

5. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Primary storage device. In laptops usually 2.5" form factor.

Don't know how old the particular laptop is. Assuming a windows based machine. One would pull the drive and connect it to a live machine with one of these (or the like) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002 and, if the drive is question isn't kaput, just copy all files to the live machine, reformat the old drive and sell it on ebay.

6. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    Or keep the old drive as secondary storage

7. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Yeah, but I'd take the money made (not much for sure) and buy either WD .5TB passports, or SATA microdrives. Passports are cheap and nice to keep in the safety deposit box (along with DVD's and tapes .- backup is pretty quick and easy these days).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  8. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you guys talk English sometimes ? LOL

I'm to old to start learning all that stuff.

Some one I did some remodel work for gave me a pro book that was less then a year old she said. So I was going to give it to my daughter but I just wanted to see if I could get online first and it took me 3 days to figure how to turn it on. And I couldn't get it to do anything but it only took my daughter a few min. to have it online.

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Flash drives are your friend!

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a external hard drive that came with software which automatically backs up all my important data anytime I plug it into my computer. I think most external hard drives come with this sort of software these days. My drive is 1 TB and it was about $100. Well worth it in my opinion!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by