Larengytis?

omilona

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
So, I am now one year into having chickens. I have a puzzling situation with one of my Cuckoo Marans hens. She seems to have larengytis. She opens and closes her beak saying 'Haaah' in a whisper. She also has not layed an egg in a few weeks. I figured that it was winter, and she would start again soon...though it has been abnormally warm all winter and they have supplemental lighting and all 7 of the other hens have been laying straight through. The 9 chickens have a 22X22 run and an 8X8 coop. They have layers mash, hen treat/woodpecker mix, cracked corn and mealy worms. She does not appear to be uncomfortable. I am going out of town on thursday for 10 days leaving my dad (who had chickens growing up in Ireland) to babysit. Any thoughts? I appreciate your help!

Does it sort of look like she's yawning when she does this? Could she have a little something stuck in her throat? Also, there's gapeworm, which makes them look like they're yawning, and it's actually a parasite in their throat that looks like little red veins, I think.......

Don't mean to scare ya, but maybe take a look down her throat.....

Sharon

I will look down her throat when I get home. Its not a big opening of the beak...more like when they are drinking water. If it is the dreaded worm, what do I treat her/them with? I have been doing the organic, only DE thing so far, but if chemicals are required, chemicals they shall have!

I dont see anything down there, but she was not exactly cooperating. I made an appointments with the local avian vet for tomorrow. I'll let you know what she says....

SO I am at the vet having, I kid you not, $800 worth of tests on this hen......

Let's see, throat swab, anal swab, fecal testing, xrays, blood work seem to indicate a very bad deep respiratory infection (highly contagious needless to say). So they are keeping her in the hospital to give her massive doses of antibiotics 5x day (doubling the cost to $1600...DH is going to have a stroke when he hears) while we are on vacation for the next 9 days. I did tell the vet that is she declines at all or develops any other complication to euthanize her right away. She may yet die anyway.They xray also shows an enormous double yolk size egg in the duct, so she may get egg bound in which case kaput. Vet was all for administering general anesthesia if she's egg bound, but I just cant go $1 more. My real concern is the other 8 at this point, though the sick one is my DD's favorite little buddy. Why couldn't it have been my accidental rooster? I bought 9 hens and one grew to be twice the size and started crowing. He loves to give me the the stink eye and try to bite me as I feed them.

Crap..... That still seems very pricy.you can get Tylan 50, La 200 or even liquid Baytril for under 25 bucks and that is what we all use to treat respitory infections. I understand the intensive supportive care can cost money... But $1600..... Geese, it's not like they are doing surgery, i would think they could do a chicken lung trasplant for that......I know you can get a swab from your bird and send it into a lab for under $100 for certain testing......The egg bound situation should be able to be taken care of by the vet by breaking the eggs and taking out the pieces. My vet did a hen for me for $30...... Wasn't sure she would pull through but with antibiotics she did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom