Large capacity feeder question

Yeah I know right?! But I am looking at this as a way to embrace the challenge and maybe think of some different ways to do stuff. I have to get the cameras in because I do love to keep up with them even for a short trip.

Feeders get plugged occasionally water lines get leaks so many things can happen 3 months unmonitored is asking a lot to not come home to everything dead. Animals depend on us to care for them regularly they can't always fend for themselves. maybe chickens aren't in your or their best interest right now.
That is why the cameras are necessary.

Square bins don't empty as well as something like this ... https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A6BA36AD8FEDD08035B0A6BA36AD8FED&&FORM=VRDGAR

Just the part about how he tested and fine tuned the design is worth watching it (if I remember it well enough). He did a follow up video a year later, when he took a close look at how it held up after use
Good point. I'm putting a slope in my bin at the bottom to push the feed to the feeding ports to keep the feed freely moving and clumps forming from standing feed. Otherwise, I do think that there would be issues.

This is a rough idea of what the feeders' basic design will be.

Mine will be a bit taller, have more slope on the top and bottom, bigger ports because I have roosters, and a thermometer style plexiglass covered cutout down the middle to show feed amounts at a glance.

Other ideas for the build are welcome!

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I've been raising chickens for years now, but I've recently moved to a new property and just built my coop/run.

I am being presented with a few unique problems because of my job situation. Basically my family and I will be traveling for 1-3 months once a year for my job. Great adventures, but I don't want to have to depend on paying friends to care for my flock outside of egg gathering by my neighbor.(Unfortunately, I can't really trust her skill with more than that) In short, I want to automate the water(maybe a later thread) and build a large capacity feeder for each side of my coop. The dimensions would be 34"x10x48. It would be a wooden box with several of these poultry ports in the bottom: https://www.amazon.com/Poultry-Chic...+Poultry+Pro+Feeder+Kit&qid=1674932702&sr=8-2

Firstly, could one of your more knowledgeable folks tell me from the cubic dimensions, how many pounds of feed approximately the feeder would hold.

Secondly, do you guys thing that my design with the use of the ports would work well.

The feeders will be built where the green temporary partition is on each side of the coop. Thanks in advance all!
Did you ever find an automatic water solution? (I’m trying to find a good option for a larger waterer for 20 eight week old chicks. Currently cleaning/filling a 2 gallon waterer twice a day.)

Back
Top Bottom