Large chicken hen hatching quail!

Pics

SemiQ

Songster
Aug 20, 2018
Victoria, Australia
A family member has some quail and lots of eggs he just chucks to the dogs, because we had a broody golden laced wyandotte we offered to put some under for him.
20181128_170531.jpg

20181128_170918.jpg

There was originally eleven but one was already cracked so that left us with ten. I placed them under her (not without getting pecked of course!):lol:.
I checked under her the next day and one more was broken. So that leaves us with nine (I checked again today).
Today's the 3rd day of incubation, I'm not quite sure if she is able to turn them but from what I can tell she has been,all I can do is hope they hatch:fl. Anyone is welcome to join and chat on this thread.

Hope she hatches them, I use to use my mutt Blacktailed White Japanese to hatch out some of my quail and pheasants. Worked pretty good. My BTW's were very broody, like Silkies.
I hope so too. I've got two chickens that are particularly broody, this girl(Nanami) and a Colombian sussex. Though I feel as though this one's never off the nest!:lau

I hope so too. I've got two chickens that are particularly broody, this girl(Nanami) and a Colombian sussex. Though I feel as though this one's never off the nest!:lau
Hope she doesn't break them trying to turn them...they are a little small for her size. What kind of quail?

This sort of thing can work, but you run the risk of her stepping on and hurting the tiny babies. There's also the risk of disease transfer if your chickens are carrying anything. Regardless, it's interesting.

Back
Top Bottom