Large Crop is full of Clear Fluid and NOT going down after med dose

HungryPenguin

Songster
May 4, 2020
Lake Michigan
My hen has had a cough/sneeze for awhile now and it would ebb and flow with VETRX. Realized VETRX wasn't going to do the trick so I gave her some Tylan 50 orally to medicate this respiratory infection and gave her a dose last night before bed. Then this morning after I give her the second does of Tylan 50 clear liquid falls out of her mouth when I put her down... there went the meds! I took the water away during the day since it wouldn't do any good adding to her crop. It's now the end of the day and it is just as full if not larger than this morning. It's probably the size of a baseball, I tried to massage it down or feel for anything hard, but it's just a water balloon and more clear liquid came flowing out. It's very sad that she can't even eat or tilt her head down because she will choke herself with the fluid and it freaks her out!
Things to note:
-I know for a fact, she didn't go to bed with her crop like this
-Had water in kennel last night
-Has diarrhea
-Sneeze/cough every few minutes
-mouth doesn't smell sour
-Liquid coming out is 100% clear

I tried to do research before posting this, but doesn't seem like this is very common. I don't know how to treat her... I don't know if I should try to give her more Tylan 50 or wait/hope her crop goes down, do I try to get the liquid out of her? ( i know most people don't agree doing that) but it's basically choking her when she's not standing straight up. Should I force feed her Greek yogurt? I don't believe it's sour crop because she was fine until I gave her the Tylan 50 and there's no sour crop signs other than her crop full of liquid. I'm concerned as she needs this medication for her respiratory infection but her crop is preventing this!
Please help in a hurry if you have some knowledge to share, she is getting weaker and has the sleepy eyes now... we know what's shortly after that....

Sounds like there's some sort of blockage somewhere in the digestive tract, either in the crop itself or further down. I personally haven't had any luck resolving a crop problem long term unfortunately.

Hopefully someone else can help out.

Back
Top Bottom