Large flesh wound! NEW PICTURES ADDED.

Good to hear from others that there's great hope for my girl!

I checked on her yesterday and the sutures had come unglued so we went back to the house for a check-up. I cleaned her skin up again and flushed the newly formed scab with more warm water/peroxide solution, applied a few new band-aids and a better patch to keep dirt and bedding out and gave her a new outfit. Results below...

I'd say things are looking great. No sign of infection or bad smells! There is just that one spot (near centre of image) where the skin still hadn't healed over so secured the whole wound again with sutures just to make sure things wouldn't split open.

I was having little success keeping her in her saddle as she figured out very quickly how to pull it off. I cut up an old old stretchy tank top and stitched it together in a tube. It's very loose and the fabric is very stretchy. After 24 hours it's still in place, doing a better job keeping things clean and she's still eating, scratching, clucking and giving me eggs. Ain't she pretty...

Hopefully my next shots will be of a nicely healed scar and a few more feathers to boot!

She's comin' along nicely ... still very impressed by how well you've done ~'-)

great job!!! love the pink dressing. you have done so well with her. She is a lucky girl to have you as a Momma!
thumbsup.gif

How hard were the sutures to do?

Last edited:
How hard were the sutures to do?

I just used butterfly band-aids as I have no sterile suture material on hand.

I started thinking this morning I should just stitch her shut as I had a major setback this morning!
I was out, fussing, feeding and watering when my girl slipped past me back in with rest of the flock. No work of a lie, THE SECOND, she walked into the main flock, this jerk of rooster jumped on top of her before I could scoot her out of there! He managed to tear open the wound completely!!!
hit.gif
Back to the hospital....

On the upside, I was able to more effectively remove the scab which still had some dirt in it and completely pull the skin together. I taped the absolute bejeezus out of her. This time we will be successful!!!!

For certain, your breeding program oughta be very successful, unless that rooster kills all your hens ... as frustrating as doin' it again may seem? It gave you the chance to flush it all out again, and get rid of what woulda surely produced more scar tissue later. And, you got a bit more practice w/ repairing your birds.

Take that rooster in for a manicure ... trim back, and file down ~'-)

Just an update... Changed the bandages again today and am VERY pleased with the results of how she's healed!
celebrate.gif

Check it out!

If yours wasn't such a cool avatar, I'd suggest changin' it to this image ... I've got worse scars from fightin' than your chicken's gonna have from the hawk. Congrats, Dr. Aaran ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom