Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Hello Cochin enthusiasts! Can I pick your collective brains? I have thirteen two week old chicks two of which are LF Blue Cochin. I am concerned because everyone is feathering out rapidly except one little Cochin chick. It had no feathers at all. I have also noticed that the chick sleeps notably more than the other chicks. However when awake, the chick is equally enthusiastic in eating drinking scratching and all around chicking about. Should I be concerned for this chick or is she just a slow starter? Is this common in Cochin? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

This is my first time hatching out LF Cochin chicks. Out of 8 chicks, I have one that is about 1/3 the size of its hatchmates. The feathers on the little guy are also doing something weird. About half way down the feather there is a little break in the feather and the last half of the feather then twists out from the body in all directions. I checked with the person I bought the hatching eggs from and she only has LF Cochins and has no idea where this little one came from. The chick is six weeks old. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.
You probably have a frizzled Cochin there.

This is my first time hatching out LF Cochin chicks. Out of 8 chicks, I have one that is about 1/3 the size of its hatchmates. The feathers on the little guy are also doing something weird. About half way down the feather there is a little break in the feather and the last half of the feather then twists out from the body in all directions. I checked with the person I bought the hatching eggs from and she only has LF Cochins and has no idea where this little one came from. The chick is six weeks old.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
Ruffled feathers and growth retardation are mentioned in Vit A deficiency...just a thought. I am sorry that I don't know what is wrong.

Good morning!! I was curious, when did your LF Cochins begin to lay?? I have a 20 week old, and she isn't showing the typical signs. Also, her comb and wattle are still fairly small, and hardly red.
Also, what kind of layers do Cochins make? What size egg would a LF Cochin lay?
Like I said, just curious!! Thanks in advance :)

The Cochins I have raised started laying anywhere from 6 months to 10 months old. At first eggs are medium and get up large and xlarge. They are pretty good layers until they go broody. That is why they are listed as a poor layer. They also take forever to get through a molt and do not lay much if at all during those 1-3 months.

Matt

The Cochins I have raised started laying anywhere from 6 months to 10 months old.  At first eggs are medium and get up large and xlarge.  They are pretty good layers until they go broody.  That is why they are listed as a poor layer.  They also take forever to get through a molt and do not lay much if at all during those 1-3 months.

Matt

Thanks! Interesting.
I was reading some other info on here, and I guess that Cochins are slow to mature...I didn't realize this. I have a Cochin rooster that seemed to mature really quickly, but I guess all birds are really different!

I'm new to BYC and was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can get a blue or splash or lemon blue LF Cochin pullet in or within 30 min of King, NC

I have thirteen three week old chicks two of which are LF Blue Cochin. I am concerned because everyone is feathering out rapidly except one little Cochin chick. It has a few feathers on the wing tip. I have also noticed that the chick sleeps notably more than the other chicks. However when awake, the chick is equally enthusiastic in eating drinking scratching and all around chicking about. Should I be concerned for this chick or is it just a slow starter? Is this common in Cochin? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]someone suggesting adding photos so here they are. The first chick I the concern. They are the same age.

Back
Top Bottom