Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Quote:
I'm a bit new with chickens myself, but I read on another post there is a theory that pullets do seem to feather out quicker. That seemed to be the case for my silkie chicks.

I was just looking at my LF Silver-Laced pair today (9 weeks old) and the roo still has some fluffy chick down on his back ,but not the pullet.

Quote:
By gold barred would you mean the pattern on the golden penciled hamburg? or a barred with gold instead of white? Is that what you would be calling buff barred?

Rudy, not sure if that question is for me or Pink. The only reason I asked is that I know a lot of people are working on what they all refer to as "Buff Barred", in both LF and Bantam. But I've never heard anyone refer to them as "Gold Barred". As the genes for Buff and Gold are different, I was just wondering which Pink is actually working on.

Ill have to see if the lady who has the daddy will post a pic for me.. he is deffinealty a shiny gold with dark barring.. he is gorgeous. my little guy has his gold head and is barring up nicely.. Ill try to get a pic of him too.. but it is a shiny gold not a buff color..
he's not penciled like my Dark Brahma's its a barring like my barred rocks only the gold not black as a base color..

Pink

WHew! Took me a couple of days to read the whole thread, but I did it! I am quite intrigued with these big fluff balls! We have a cochin roo, that we got with our 3 barred rock hens. We really had no clue when it came to chicken breeds! I had no idea there were so many! I definitely think we lucked out tho, as we seem to have some really friendly birds that lay pretty well. And our roo is fantastic- friendly, funny, laid back with all my kids around... I just love him! So I started browsing here and I am so taken with these cochins!

Sorry for the ramble! that was my way of saying hello and thanks for all the cochin info:)

Welcome to the world of Cochins! Actually to both of you who recently posted
wink.png

How do most of your Cochins lay. Good Bad or Fair?

Just wanting to know. I have a project going, actually just started it, but wanting to figure out which way to go in my next step.
I'm wanting a bigger bird but one that lays weel (large brown eggs).

Quote:
Thanks,
I'm thinking about adding ther Cochin for size, then trying to breed out the feather legs. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with feathered legs, I just don't want them on my egg layers.

So far in my projext I've crossed my White Plymouth Rock rooster over some Red/Gold Sex linked hens. I've really got a variety of colors from them, but I'll just be keeping the white ones (pullets) to breed on.

So I've posted about my suspect roosters in the "what breed or gender is this" section, but figured I get the opinions from all of you cochin experts. I'm thinking I have 2 boys, and would like confirmation. They were supposed to be blue(McMurray gives a mix of B/B/S), if they breed the splash pullet will I get any blue chicks? Also, one of them has more defined points on its comb than the other- they're both about the same size and body type- which one would you keep?
86165_2011-06-30_11-26-59_560.jpg

Here is the one with the more defined comb:
86165_2011-06-30_11-24-28_175.jpg

And the other:
86165_2011-06-30_11-48-34_309.jpg

And one more, the suspect is in the lower left corner giving the camera the stink eye- everyone else in the picture should be pullets:
86165_2011-06-30_11-53-33_723.jpg

I really appriciate any insight- and it wont hurt my feelings if you tell me they are both boys. I'm hoping for at least 1 rooster. Thanks!

Everyones birds are GORGEOUS! Here's a couple more pictures of my babies, I love them so much I can't help but show them off!
86165_2011-06-30_11-53-33_723.jpg

"Hey girls, there's that crazy lady with the camera again, she's always bothering us!"
86165_2011-06-30_11-53-27_388.jpg

"Let's all pretend she's not there."
86165_2011-06-30_11-56-21_12.jpg

86165_2011-06-30_11-52-12_263.jpg

86165_2011-06-30_11-52-04_861.jpg

My biggest love sponge, Mary Jane. I step on her at least once a week. She's always underfoot!
86165_2011-06-30_11-51-56_536.jpg

One of my lovely whites
love.gif

86165_2011-06-30_11-51-39_123.jpg

Mary Belle, the special needs Cochin. She's blind in one eye.
86165_2011-06-30_11-50-54_814.jpg

Sun-icide!
86165_2011-06-30_11-56-04_713.jpg

"Hey! Whatchu lookin at!?!?"
I absolutely
love.gif
these babies, none of the other breeds I've had have been this friendly. Not even my Silkies! However, I now fear I wont have a boy in this group (I made another post a few posts up about my suspects which I also posted under the what breed or gender section- and most think they are fast developing pullets), when should I be able to tell for sure? These chicks are 10 weeks old now
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom