Large hard mass on rooster’s leg, wobbling

nolitaflat

Chirping
May 10, 2020
My rooster is wobbling all over the place and struggling to walk. Still eating and drinking. He’s been having issues walking for a few days and I’ve been trying different home remedies.. I’ve put poultry cell in their water, I gently scrubbed his feet and applied petroleum jelly in case he had scaly leg mites. However when treating him I noticed a large hard lump on his leg! And the base of his leg feathers on the skin were red. I plan to take him to the vet on Monday but I’m worried sick. Has anyone seen this before?? I just want some reassurance, or even bad news, just so I’m not scrambling my brain wondering what’s wrong :(

pictures included are right after a bath so he’s all wet. The lump was very hard.

Attachments

• 398DD05A-C90A-427D-9F9A-F4EB42EE091E.jpeg
    398DD05A-C90A-427D-9F9A-F4EB42EE091E.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 8C813562-7DAD-4804-9A38-6ABC6A171D19.jpeg
    8C813562-7DAD-4804-9A38-6ABC6A171D19.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 22
It could be a bad injury, but an infection or tumor might be possible. I would place him inside a dog crate with food and water close by and observe his behavior. If it is an injury, the rest may help. Is he limping, holding his leg up, or putting weight on it?

It could be a bad injury, but an infection or tumor might be possible. I would place him inside a dog crate with food and water close by and observe his behavior. If it is an injury, the rest may help. Is he limping, holding his leg up, or putting weight on it?

he’s walking on his tip toes which is making him lose his balance and kind of wobbly forward and back. He’s spending a lot of time sitting too so he’s definitely trying to rest it. He’s putting his weight on it and not favoring either leg. He’s just clearly in pain when walking, and he’s furious lately that I’ve been trying to inspect him.
It’s just so odd that he’s walking on his tip toes!
Are tumors in chickens terminal like humans?

Tumors in chickens can be a result of certain viruses such as Mareks disease or leukosis, but also can include other types. There are homemade chicken slings that sometimes can be used to get them up and in front of food and water, and keep them clean if they tolerate them. You can try vitamin B complex that includes riboflavin 1/4 tablet daily in food or a spoonful of water to try and help the curled under toes. He might have an injury to the nerve or possibly could have Mareks disease. It is hard to know.

Back
Top Bottom