Large incubator build research

blucoondawg

Songster
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't been able to find anyplace on this site with DIY incubator examples other than scattered threads on the subject, is there such a place on this site with examples of DIY models? I am considering building a larger model to be ready for next spring out of an old refrigerator or something like that. I have a Farm Innovators and have so many people asking me for chicks that I'd rather have something I could set all at once and be done with it, plus I may decide to get into breeding a couple breeds I like and maybe pheasant and quail, right now I just have all mix chickens.

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't been able to find anyplace on this site with DIY incubator examples other than scattered threads on the subject, is there such a place on this site with examples of DIY models? I am considering building a larger model to be ready for next spring out of an old refrigerator or something like that. I have a Farm Innovators and have so many people asking me for chicks that I'd rather have something I could set all at once and be done with it, plus I may decide to get into breeding a couple breeds I like and maybe pheasant and quail, right now I just have all mix chickens.
Here is mine....................https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/872944/designing-an-incubator/40

So far I'm lovin' it!

Here is mine....................https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/872944/designing-an-incubator/40

So far I'm lovin' it!

I saw you thread earlier I like your incubator as well and will likely do something like that rather than the refrigerator, they're just to heavy to move around. I haven't decided if I should build shelves to accept the little giant type egg turners or if I want to build a Turner unit with multiple shelves running off 1 motor. I like the shelf idea as I could remove the turners and replace them with hatching boxes at lockdown.
Have you hatched anything yet?

Last edited:
I drool over DMRippy's megabator--she has a link in her sig line--I think she's had time to fine tune it and she hatches a ton....

I saw you thread earlier I like your incubator as well and will likely do something like that rather than the refrigerator, they're just to heavy to move around. I haven't decided if I should build shelves to accept the little giant type egg turners or if I want to build a Turner unit with multiple shelves running off 1 motor. I like the shelf idea as I could remove the turners and replace them with hatching boxes at lockdown.
Have you hatched anything yet?
I haven't done any complete incubations yet. The temp is holding so well with no fluctuations that I moved 22 eggs from a Farm Innovators to the cabinet for lockdown. Today is day 21 so I should soon know. If there is a problem though, I would tend more to blame the fluctuations I had in the innovators as to blame. The reason I feel I had so much fluctuation before was the incubator being in an unheated shop when the weather was getting so cold at night. My new cabinet holds even then due to thicker walls and insulation.

Back
Top Bottom