Large Infected Bump

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
I was just holding my 4 month old Lavender Orpington hen when I noticed that the feathers didn't look quite right on her back, just behind the
20220615_033229.jpg
20220615_031535.jpg
20220615_031542.jpg
neck. I ruffled through her feathers and found a bump filled with pus...

I was able to clean her up and disinfect the wound, but I'm very curious as to what caused this? Could it be caused by an ingrown feather? Any advice on how to further treat her would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I'd keep cleaning it one to two times daily, with soap and warm water, and then pat dry. Apply antibiotic salve.
Wear gloves, it may be a staff infection.
I'd also supplement her diet with Poultry Cell or another liquid vitamin. Just mix some with water and her feed, and serve it as a mash.
Does it feel warm to the touch?
Does it feel hard? (Like it may have a kernel inside?)
Is she eating and drinking well?

Good luck. I hope she heals quickly.

I'd keep cleaning it one to two times daily, with soap and warm water, and then pat dry. Apply antibiotic salve.
Wear gloves, it may be a staff infection.
I'd also supplement her diet with Poultry Cell or another liquid vitamin. Just mix some with water and her feed, and serve it as a mash.
Does it feel warm to the touch?
Does it feel hard? (Like it may have a kernel inside?)
Is she eating and drinking well?

Good luck. I hope she heals quickly.
Thank you for the advice. I will continue to clean the wound and will try to give her some poultry cell. As for the lump, it does feel a bit hard. After cleaning it, it hallowed out... so she now has a hole on her back. It didn't feel particularly warm.

She has been eating and drinking well, no signs of lethargy either. I hold her every day, but this is the first time I've noticed anything off... and that's only because her raggedy feathers looked ruffled.

Back
Top Bottom