Large Lump on Chicken's Leg

Valhalla Acres

Songster
Jul 13, 2017
Deer Creek IL
We received this hen from a from a friend who was unsure of what to do with her. It looks like there necrotic tissue on inside the joint. Underneath of the lump (shank, foot, etc...) is swollen. She can't stand on it either. She peeked it open and it started to bleed.
20181117_083945.jpg
20181117_084007.jpg

Can you take her to a vet?

Do you know what breed she is?
I would definitely keep her quarantined away from your existing flock if you have one.
I'm not sure what the cause would be, but I am going to assume the hock is infected.

It could be a tumor or even related to Mycoplasma S. which affect the joints.
What are your plans for this hen if you get her well?

No, we haven't taken her to the vet. She's a 2 YO Asil. and I did a little exploratory needle poking. The outer edge is just covered in veins, so it's getting a large amount of blood. Then the inner area is all just hard tissue, so it's definitely a fatty or cancerous tumor. If she gets well, she is going to a be a hen in Mike Suttles Chicken Camp.

No, we haven't taken her to the vet. She's a 2 YO Asil. and I did a little exploratory needle poking. The outer edge is just covered in veins, so it's getting a large amount of blood. Then the inner area is all just hard tissue, so it's definitely a fatty or cancerous tumor. If she gets well, she is going to a be a hen in Mike Suttles Chicken Camp.
Can you post some pictures of what she looks like?
The other leg/foot too?

I would say it's a tumor, but there are more knowledgeable folks her than me. @Eggcessive may have some ideas.

I don't know what Mike Suttles Chicken Camp is, but to each his own, if she gets better then it may be just fine to integrate her with a flock of chickens. I would just worry about spreading disease:)

I have to agree with Wyorp Rock that mycoplasma synovitis (MS) might be a possibility, but with the size and blood supply, I would guess that it is a cancer—chondosarcoma or osteosarcoma.

Sue Gremlin could be right about an injury as well. She may be in a lot of pain, and I would consider euthanizing her before it gets worse. Cancers can be caused by both avian lymphoid leukosis and Mareks disease, which are viruses. If you want to get a diagnosis, you can get a necropsy by your state poultry lab. Sorry about your chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom