Large Mass on Left side, not crop

JerseyHen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Sussex County, NJ
I have a hen with an odd mass on her left side. I know that this hen is not going to survive, but I am curious as to what this might be (in case it could have been prevented or is contagious). I think it is just a tumor, like a cancer or some such thing, but thought I would ask to see if anyone has any insights.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
RIR Hen, probably 4 or so, was of normal weight, now is losing weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She has a large (think orange) mass over her left breast that extends a bit under the wing. This mass is hard, ovoid, and seems to be moveable under ths skin and over the muscle, but I cannot be sure. She has stopped eating, can no longer walk, but will drink if offered. She has no other symptoms.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She started having difficulty moving around a week or so ago, but we didn't notice the mass until 4 days ago because she was not losing wt so the mass was not obvious, she would eat so her crop would balance it out, and she will not let us handle her since she was not raised being handled.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We adopted this hen a month or so ago because her owners could no longer take care of her. As far as I am aware the hen has been well cared for and there is nothing that would cause this.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating flockraiser crumbles, freeranging, and has oystershell and grit as desired. She stopped eating a few days ago and now only drinks when prompted.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Greenish now, very scant amounts (due to lack of food and water), but was normal until she stopped eating.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Palliative.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I am probably going to cull her later today because she seems to be suffering now, unless someone has a miracle cure.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
NA

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Large coop with linoleum floor and pine shavings that are changed if malodorous or wet, copious ventilation, large fenced run with dirt floor, free-ranged daily on several acres of pasture and woodlot.

Back
Top Bottom