Large old dog bad back leg

His weight should be about 100 pounds. He is alert and eating he just can't get up. I felt his leg and there doesn't appear to be any swelling. It didn't appear to hurt him anywhere. He just won't/can't walk on it.

I got the aspirin in him via turkey. Aspirin is a bit easier than some of the other pills. I got some joint pills that are supposed to be chewable liver flavored by he wouldn't eat those. I will try the throw down his throat later and see if I have any better luck. He is just stubborn when it comes to that.

He was my mom's dog until he was about 4 and she was having some health issues and living in the city (and he would run out the door and run on the golf course and she was worried he would know an old person over). She doesn't want him to suffer and wants us to put him down if it is anything major or long term.

We loss two llamas this winter and had our share of goat vet bills. Not sure why everything happens at once. Not ready for another animal health problem.

I have to roll pills in cheese to get my dogs to take pills. Just tear off a bit of sliced cheese and mash it around the pill. It works for me.

I have used the joint supplements for years with my doxies and they do work, but must be taken all of the time. Sometimes the liver flavor works, sometimes it doesnt..when it doesnt..I either use the cheese method or cover the pill in peanut butter.

Try the aspirin and heat pad for a few days. If that doesnt work, then a trip to the vet. I just had the same problem with my senior dog, it always happens saturday afternoon when the vet it closed. I did the aspirin/heat pad and she didnt improve by Monday. The vet said since there was no improvement w/the aspiriin, then Rhimadyl would not work either. My dog was put on Predisone for two weeks. The steriods worked.

I've been giving him aspirin in turkey meat. Aspirin seems a bit easier to give than capsules of herbs. He seems to be doing better. He is putting more weight on it, but still not quite back to normal.

Thanks!

My vet said ibuprofen was ok, though not good, and only a low dose once a week or so, so if she is really looking rough, I give her 200 mg once. There is a similar drug (another NSAID) that vets will prescribe for dogs called Metacam but it is expensive. Mine is on glucosamine/chondroitin, phenylbutazone (used to be marketed for people as Butazolidin, not an expensive drug) and prednisone (also not expensive but not a good thing, really a last resort.) Tylenol is an absolute no-no for dogs. When she is really miserable I give Benadryl 25 or 50 mg. It is an antihistamine that makes you sleepy. It is over the counter, sold as an allergy med for people, diphenhydramine is the generic name. It is evidently as harmless in dogs as it is in humans.

She is about 13 (?) and I have been dealing with this for several years with her. She will run and chase, then be barely able to get up off the floor that evening. I expect I will wind up having her put down, but not while she still enjoys affection and playtime so much.

In talking with the vet about her over the years, I learned something very interesting. She has almost straight hind legs -- very little of that crook at the "knee" that some dogs have. He said the straight legs often are related to joint problems in the "knee." (I have no idea whether it is called a knee in dogs.) She is a mutt, looks a lot like a black lab but the tail looks chow. She is a rescue.

Long post, but I thought this might be helpful.

He seems to be getting around better, but something still isn't right. He has trouble getting up off the floor and needs a carpet under his back legs. Sometimes his back legs shakes. Most of the time he seems happy, but I think he is in pain sometimes like if he slips. Was able to get aspirin in him with turkey meat. I guess they are small enough and dissolve easily unlike capsules.

Thanks! Anyone ever see this in a dog. It does remind me of what happened to our previous dog. She got so she couldn't get up anymore.

If he won't take glucosamine/chondroitin in a pill or chewable form, there are other alternatives. We give ours all a gravy that they cannot resist, even the picky ones. They literally all go nuts for it. It is called Nupro Joint Support, it comes in a tub with a silver label. It is a powder that you sprinkle on their food and add warm water to. The Nupro with a gold label is also excellent but does not have the joint supplements. It is cheapest from Petfood Direct:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf_id=2050008&dept_id=170&brand_id=39

There are also several spray kinds available, that you just spray over their food before feeding. We've only tried the Pet Kiss variety, some liked it but others didn't:

http://www.petkiss.com/Arthritis_and_Joint_Formula.html

I gave the Pet Kiss variety to my old Bloodhound. When I adopted her she could walk but that was about it. After 2 or 3 weeks she was running and playing.

Another great product is Cetyl M , we've only used it on horses and humans (my father-in-law and his old horse!) but it has worked well.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=2455

Good luck with your dog, it is terrible to see them getting old.
hugs.gif

I give my old Dobies 2 baby aspirins a day plus a glucosamin/chondroitin pill. One old boy will only take them wrapped up in peanut butter, but Lacey eats them out of my hand. I cannot get over the difference in her attitude since I added these to her diet. She used to move like a very old dog. Now she moves like she's about 5 again. I also give everybody a vitamin E every day for heart health.

HTH

Rusty

Back
Top Bottom