Large Open Wound on 5 month old hen.

GreenGables

Songster
12 Years
Feb 25, 2011
MA
I was watching my chickens this afternoon and noticed 2 of my leghorns and 1 of my Auracuna's pecking at the back of my Australorp. I immediately went out and found an open wound on her back the size of a regular egg.

I would appreciate any help. I did remove her from our flock of 9 hens. I read to use Hydrogen Peroxide and then Iodine tea. 7 of my hens are 5 months and 2 are 3 years old. One of the 3 year old hens can be aggressive. I'm not sure the reason for this wound. Gratefully submitted.

Peroxide and iodine are both very rough on new tissue. After cleaning once, I would use Neosporin or some other brand of topical antibiotic. Be sure it has no "caine" ingredient like cetacaine, benzocaine, etc.

If you have a roo, that could easily be a mating injury. An aggressive hen could also be the cause. If this is the case, when you get the wound healed, I'd remove the bully for a week or so. This tends to put them at the bottom of the pecking order.

It has been one week since I started treating my chicken's wound. I think it's looking pretty good. The first picture is how I found her and the second is how she looks today. She layed her first egg today too. What a trooper! Graphic photos

Back
Top Bottom