Large open wound with maggots

You should be using saline for regular cleaning after. Soap and water works, but it’s more likely to cause irritation in open wounds and won’t encourage healing. You could also apply Manuka honey around the sides of the wound and give her some to encourage internal health since you mentioned blood in her poop. It’s not a cure all, but if she’s battling infection due to the wound it will. I’ve used on my dogs in the past with great success.

You should be using saline for regular cleaning after. Soap and water works, but it’s more likely to cause irritation in open wounds and won’t encourage healing. You could also apply Manuka honey around the sides of the wound and give her some to encourage internal health since you mentioned blood in her poop. It’s not a cure all, but if she’s battling infection due to the wound it will. I’ve used on my dogs in the past with great success.

I did neosporin after this time, but will do saline before the neo tonight. Thanks! Can I use regular honey or does it have to be raw/manuka? I have good local honey, but it’s not raw.

I did neosporin after this time, but will do saline before the neo tonight. Thanks! Can I use regular honey or does it have to be raw/manuka? I have good local honey, but it’s not raw.
Definitely Manuka. Manuka will be the only honey to contain high levels of methylglyoxal. The higher the level of MGO the better as well. It acts as such a good antibacterial treatment that it’s used staph infection, gun shot wounds, and even flesh eating bacteria.

The maggots need to come off before you start treating the wounds.
Once the maggots are gone, then you can use plain neosporin on the wounds.

Yes, after a bathing/flushing out/picking out maggot session, and you see no more maggots, you can apply the neosporin.

No maggots today, just some dead ones.

She is pooping (some blood in there) and laying, I have to force water.
Even dead maggots need to be gone. Clean the wound out really well before you apply the neosporin.

Photos of her poop?
Is she lethargic and not able to eat/drink on her own? Do what you can to keep her hydrated.
She may have other injuries besides the torn skin.

Wyorp- unfortunately I applied neosporin last night before those messages were posted. I am removing the dead ones though, and had already done two thorough peroxide rinses before neo so hopefully it’s okay. She actually ate a ton of mealworms today! I’ll get a poop shot soon, but she’s on clean paper right now. I can’t tell if she’s lethargic or not because she’s in a small animal crate, so movement is somewhat hindered. She’s alert, however.

Last edited:
Actually, just checked and she has pooped since. No blood this time, just runny. She’s eating well.

Attachments

• E9F0B3F6-1F67-468E-94EA-C2449F387F56.jpeg
    E9F0B3F6-1F67-468E-94EA-C2449F387F56.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 16
Wyorp- unfortunately I applied neosporin last night before those messages were posted. I am removing the dead ones though, and had already done two thorough peroxide rinses before neo so hopefully it’s okay. She actually ate a ton of mealworms today! I’ll get a poop shot soon, but she’s on clean paper right now. I can’t tell if she’s lethargic or not because she’s in a small animal crate, so movement is somewhat hindered. She’s alert, however.

Actually, just checked and she has pooped since. No blood this time, just runny. She’s eating well.
That's fine. Just tend to the wound a couple of times a day. Clean it as needed.
If you detect any odors, then it would be wise to get some Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) and really re-clean/flush the wound out.

Eating and alert is good! You may want to monitor her poop, it's not ideal, but she's been through some stress, so hopefully that will improve in a day or so.

That's fine. Just tend to the wound a couple of times a day. Clean it as needed.
If you detect any odors, then it would be wise to get some Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) and really re-clean/flush the wound out.
Thank you!! I will go ahead and order some just in case. I wouldn’t say she smells great, but I am familiar with the rancid death odor and haven’t smelled it yet. I gave her some doxycycline tonight, fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom