Large plastic coop

New2COchicks

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Hi
So it looks like I may be getting 5 Brahma hens. I see multiple plastic coop options and I like this for the cleaning of it but worried it’s too small. Any recommendations for 5 jumbo hens?

Honestly, I would just build the coop yourself. You don't need to have any carpentry skills (I didn't have any), and the coop will hold up through any weather. You can also adjust the size to fit your needs.

but worried it’s too small.
Good to worry, most plastic coops are too small for more than few birds.
Knowing what coops you are looking at might help.
Also if you plan on having a large weather and predator proof run,
which can really help balance coop size.

Also....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591914084645.png

So when everyone is saying 30 square feet of space is that the coop only where they sleep or does that include the run?

That is coop space only. Each bird requires at LEAST 4 sq ft of coop only space.... they require 10 sq ft of run space a piece. If you pack them into too small a space, then you WILL have problems.

So when everyone is saying 30 square feet of space is that the coop only where they sleep or does that include the run?
It depends a bit where you are; in the UK the term 'coop' means just the house they sleep in. In the US it means a lot of space in 3 dimensions, like an incorporated indoor run. I have plastic coops from Green Frog; the large size would accommodate your Brahmas. But most of the plastic coops I see (e.g. Eglus) are too small for large breeds like Brahmas, and are better suited to bantams; they can take 3 Warrens at a push.

PS and if you go for that sort of coop, you need a run as well of course, or an area in which they can free range. They can't just live in a small UK style coop.

so when People say they love their large format plastic coop they really are having problems?

That is coop space only. Each bird requires at LEAST 4 sq ft of coop only space.... they require 10 sq ft of run space a piece. If you pack them into too small a space, then you WILL have problems.

Back
Top Bottom