Large plastic coop

I dont really like reviews from the coop websites.... they arent going to post the bad reviews. For some Flocks, I'm sure it's fine. But, you have brahma 's.... they will get large! If you had bantams, or a smaller breed, I'm sure that 5 might work in one. I'm only speaking from my experience and your chicken breed of choice.... a smallish plastic coop will be TIGHT. Look into a prebuilt one by the amish. I know or at least seen where you posted about those. They are roomier. But you will need one at the very least, 4x8. I'm really not trying to be difficult, but happy birds make for better egg production, and less time dealing with problems like bullies, feather picking, disease.... the list goes on.

If you want easy to clean, the get the resin shed and find someone who can run a saw. They may not charge a whole lot to help with the whole shed to coop conversion. Ask around your neighborhood, work, even a bar if you have to. Someone could help. Even ask at the hardware or feedstore. They may be able to put you in touch with someone.

Last edited:
If you want easy to clean, the get the resin shed and find someone who can run a saw. They may not charge a whole lot to help with the whole shed to coop conversion. Ask around tour neighborhood, work, even a bar if you have to. Someone could help. Even ask at the hardware or feedstore. They may be able to put you in touch with someone.
I have this as a temporary coop while I move houses. It was easy enough to convert with a jigsaw, hardware cloth, and some pieces of trim.

I have a Brahma. She is a biiiig girl! They continue to grow for, like, 2 years. She is literally head and shoulders above the rest of the flock.
And she needed a bigger nesting box. I don't know how big the nesting boxes are in the coop you have, but chances are, they're not big enough...
20190609_171428.jpg

so when People say they love their large format plastic coop they really are having problems?
That seems an odd question to me. I'm not sure we'd know, unless the poster actually said they are having problems. But what I'd do is read what all the posters here have advised and then make up your own mind about what you really want to do. If the advice doesn't convince you then you can always go the route many of us have taken - do what you feel best and if it's a mistake, you will learn from it! ;)

I have 2 brahma's right now. They and 2 buff orpingtons are 3yrs old. We call them "The Fat Four" . They are really too big! The orps arent bad, but the brahma's.... dag-gone! And... they are coop dwellers! They dont come out much. As they age... they are GRUMPY! They dont bully, but they will tell you off quicker than anything. They are really funny! If I dont bring treats... they walk away grumping.... makes me laugh!
My avatar is one of them.... her name
BIG MAMA! LOL

so when People say they love their large format plastic coop they really are having problems?
What people?
The reviewers on the coop sales site?

in the UK the term 'coop' means just the house they sleep in. In the US it means a lot of space in 3 dimensions, like an incorporated indoor run.
It means the same here in the US.
Coop and run are calculated as separate spaces for square footage..
The 3rd dimension is not included in space calculations,
tho height of coop and run have impacts.

Well it’s also on the top 20 coop sites
'Top' according to whom/what?
Most sales? Most positive retail reviews?

Snap Lock might be one of the better prefab coops,
but that doesn't mean it will be good for all flock situations.
It's rather small and that is frequently a problem.

Does the CO in your screen name mean you live in Colorado?

Yes I do live there. After hearing what people on the site are saying I’m down to an Amish coop or a shed... we will see

in the UK the term 'coop' means just the house they sleep in. In the US it means a lot of space in 3 dimensions, like an incorporated indoor run.

In the US, the "coop" is usually a space that is completely predator-proof (supposedly), where the chickens sleep and lay eggs and stay any time the weather is bad or new predators move into the area. The chickens get shut in at night, and stay there until the person lets them out the next day. The chickens usually wake up earlier than the person does, so the chickens are awake in there for some amount of time every morning.

The usual recommendation of 4 square feet per chicken will allow them to live in that space for weeks at a time if they need to--snowy winter, hurricane, weeks of rain, new hawk moved into the area, new dog next door that digs under the fence of the run, etc.

Those A-frame structures with a little house at one end and the rest covered by wire: US convention would call the little house a "coop," would close the chickens into it at night so they will be "safe," and would demand 4 square feet per chicken in that enclosed space.

Back
Top Bottom