Large pus pocket under eye

Notaneggpert

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I have a two month old Turken that had a pus pocket develop under her eye sometime yesterday, it has gotten bigger, I tried to lance it today but nothing came out. I have put tetracycline Hydrochloride in her water and isolated her from the other chickens. Anyone have any idea what this is? There does not seem to be any sting or puncher marks. This upsets me because I got her out of a straight run with four others, my dogs got the only other hen when she got into their pen. The roosters are so pretty but I don't need three Turken Roosters.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252156_190210227692990_100001120419558_443478_3598832_n.jpg

Trying
to down load a better picture but I have dial up and it takes forever.
sad.png

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...031025943_100001120419558_443490_459050_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think the antibiotic is the best bet. it could be from a sinus infection? either way the antibiotic will take care of it

It may be an abscess. Birds do not produce liquid pus like mammals do; it is more like cottage cheeze. So you can't just lance and drain it. It has to be squeezed or scooped out. I'd give the antibiotics a few days to work, and warm compresses if she will tolerate it.

Hi NotanEggspert

Not sure if this link will help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6482421#p6482421

If it works there is lots of info there about eye worm in chickens. Also a link within to an online .pdf file that shows a drawing of chicken with swollen eyes.

If you chicken should have eyeworm it is something that can be treated with a product called Vet Rx Poultry Remedy. The package contains instructions on what to do. If you cannot readily get Vet Rx, you can use a mixture of 1/2 teasp of baking soda in 1 pint of boiled (to sterilize) cooled water to flush the chickens eye to try to dislodge the worms. (Manson's Eye worm)---- Some chickens are not bothered by it, and some chickens attempt to scratch away the irritation and can loose the eye or loose vision. You can successfully treat this in most liklihood, especially since you catch it early in the process.

There is also a You Tube where if you were to go to You Tube and search on Chicken Eyeworm you would see some examples.

It is a pretty yucky thought --- but I think that they are discovering 'cures'.

email me if the link doesn't work and/or if you would like some more info. Good luck.

Quote:
With so many chickens at hand I always have a bottle of Vet RX on hand and you can see by the oily head feathers I treated her with at also. I know she does not feel well and the temperatures being so high is not helping but I have her isolate pen under a lot of shade trees and two water bottles available with the medication in them.

Quote:
With so many chickens at hand I always have a bottle of Vet RX on hand and you can see by the oily head feathers I treated her with at also. I know she does not feel well and the temperatures being so high is not helping but I have her isolate pen under a lot of shade trees and two water bottles available with the medication in them.

I had one like that a few months back & lost it then another came down with it. It turned out to be a respiratory problem & I gave the second one shots of Tylan 200 in the breast shallow at an angle for 3 days straight per a Poultry 4h leaders advice & it went away with no problems again. The eye is back to being normal. I had isolated the first one & put it on antibiotics in it's water. She went off her feed. I think she was lonely & wouldn't eat. I left the second one in place which was isolated from my flock but with it's mate.

Quote:

I had one like that a few months back & lost it then another came down with it. It turned out to be a respiratory problem & I gave the second one shots of Tylan 200 in the breast shallow at an angle for 3 days straight per a Poultry 4h leaders advice & it went away with no problems again. The eye is back to being normal. I had isolated the first one & put it on antibiotics in it's water. She went off her feed. I think she was lonely & wouldn't eat. I left the second one in place which was isolated from my flock but with it's mate.

I will try that starting tomorrow if it isn't to late, I have isolated her from all the other chicken and she is acting depressed, not eating well today just stays in her box.

Quote:

Went today to the the tylan 200, the sales person said not to use the 200 on her I would kill her since she was not full grown, sold me tylan 50, showed me how much to give her, that was about 3 hours ago, I just checked on her and a marked improvement, thank you so much for the advise, it appears to be working.

Back
Top Bottom