large quanity feeders

aznewbe

In the Brooder
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Hello, I am new to this site but is sure is helpfull.
big_smile.png
We had some chickens when we lived in MT and we used a 6' length of 10" pvc pipe. Then cut out a hole in the side at one end. this we stuck in a 4 inch high rubber grain bucket that was about 12" in diameter. We wired the pipe to the wall for stability. This worked great an would hold 1-2 bags of feed at a time.

sorry we had it a while ago and did not take any pics. I might make another one for this coup if i dont find anything else and if I do i will post the pictures.

My current feeder design, while very hokey / hacked together holds about half a bag of feed, which lasts my 7 girls for a week and a half. My next design will:

1) Hold more feed
2) Be easier to refill. Right now I need to take the feeder out, fill, and replace. Hopefully I can leave it in place and remove a lid to simply pour in the feed.
3) Be somewhat suspended to help minimize easy access by rodents

that design is very easy to fill, just pour in the bag. If you screw the rubber bottom to the feeder you could probly suspend it. floor space is one reason i am thinking of trying something diffrent this time.

Love that big feeder. What would we do without duct tape? I even bough some camo duct tape this year!

A local farm supply had a sale on feeders, so I currently have a 40# and a 30# for feed and a 30# for oyster shell. I like to be able to take one bag out and bring an empty bag back to the trash. AZ, I do like the idea of the PVC one and Nifty, I LOVE the Duct tape!!! Whoo!
D-U-C-T-T-A-P-E!!! Duct Tape Duct Tape!

Back
Top Bottom