Large rooster mate small hen?

Dreamtinyfarm

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2021
North Texas
Hi! My flock consists of 4 Rhode Island Reds 1 1/2 years old and a mixture of 6 hens 7 months old and 1 rooster 7 months old. My rooster is a large, beautiful Easter egger that seems to be gentle and kind to his hens, though the older red hens are still resisting his courtship (no brawls so far). What I’m concerned about and am hoping for advice on is my sweet, small silkie that is just starting to squat and I’m very worried about my rooster trying to mate her. She is so tiny and delicate and he is 2-3 times her size. I am so so worried that he will attempt to mate her and injure her. I’m keeping an eye out but I can’t be out there all the time. I have noticed him only going after 3 of my young hens, Rhode Island Whites, so far and I haven’t seen him with the other 3 young hens. Will he attempt to mate my small silkie and what will happen? I’ve noticed she is treated better by some of the top hens when the rooster is around and he is a great rooster in all other regards so I don’t want to prematurely do anything like removing him from the coop or rehoming him. But I am very worried about it because our silkie is our favorite and she is by far the tamest and sweetest of the flock. We would be completely devastated if something happened to her. What should I do?

My SF rooster (a bit over 7 pounds) mated the little Sebright in front of him. She is a bit over one pound.
I don't think he can actually fertilize her. The Sebright rooster does. I also don't know how often my SF rooster mates the little girls. But all of them are just fine.
IMG_20210802_070352247.jpg

My SF rooster (a bit over 7 pounds) mated the little Sebright in front of him. She is a bit over one pound.
I don't think he can actually fertilize her. The Sebright rooster does. I also don't know how often my SF rooster mates the little girls. But all of them are just fine.
View attachment 2888519
Wow that rooster is HUGE compared to the Sebright!

Last edited:
I've got the OPPOSITE situation: a tiny roo with a bunch of big girls. His favorite at the moment is my Cochin. He's a tiny Sebright who weights a little over a pound. She's a big girl weighing in at over 7. He can't fertilize her because the equipment doesn't line up. But he has to claw and bite and fight yo stay on. He's actually hurt 2 of my other hens' combs by grabbing onto them to try and stay up. I don't like it.

Reading this, it seems like I might be better off if their sizes were the other way around....

I've got the OPPOSITE situation: a tiny roo with a bunch of big girls. His favorite at the moment is my Cochin. He's a tiny Sebright who weights a little over a pound. She's a big girl weighing in at over 7. He can't fertilize her because the equipment doesn't line up. But he has to claw and bite and fight yo stay on. He's actually hurt 2 of my other hens' combs by grabbing onto them to try and stay up. I don't like it.

Reading this, it seems like I might be better off if their sizes were the other way around....
I had a d'Uccle cockerel that was OBSESSED with my Exchequer Leghorn. She hated him. He balded her head and back trying to mate her.
He's gone now and paired with a Serama hen.

Yes the standard size roosters will mate with bantam sized hens. I personally keep mine separate for the most part. I have had standard cockerals raised in my Silkie barn mate with the mature silkies. This is tough on the girls even though the cockerals are not full size.(We try to remove the standard cockerals before maturity). We have a neighbor whose Silkie was killed by roos. Due to the crest and docile nature I would not keep a bantum Silkie with a standard rooster.

Back
Top Bottom