Large rooster mate small hen?

Yes the standard size roosters will mate with bantam sized hens. I personally keep mine separate for the most part. I have had standard cockerals raised in my Silkie barn mate with the mature silkies. This is tough on the girls even though the cockerals are not full size.(We try to remove the standard cockerals before maturity). We have a neighbor whose Silkie was killed by roos. Due to the crest and docile nature I would not keep a bantum Silkie with a standard rooster.
Good to know! Thanks for your insight. I’m thinking I’d rather not risk an injury. I was hoping maybe he would just show interest in the larger hens. So far that’s the case but my silkie is not laying yet so there hasn’t been any reason for him to pursue her.

My SF rooster (a bit over 7 pounds) mated the little Sebright in front of him. She is a bit over one pound.
I don't think he can actually fertilize her. The Sebright rooster does. I also don't know how often my SF rooster mates the little girls. But all of them are just fine.
View attachment 2888519
I had an 8lb Buff Orpington rooster mate with a Mille Fleur D'uccle hen many years ago. So, yes a LF rooster can breed a bantam hen without hurting her.

I cringed with my mouth agape when I saw him do it. It was not a pretty sight.
But she got up, shook like normal and went about her business.
Yep my young 'barnyard mix EE' rooster has had his wicked ways with my teeny tiny frizzle silkie.

I know he did the deed because I threw one of her eggs under her broody sister and now I have a chick 🐣.

She too just gets up fluffs her feathers and continues eating. Ahhhh - chicken love, the hens just fluff up feathers and ignore the rooster who prances around like he is a super stallion 😄.

...even though my rooster is generally quiet I will likely rehome him next spring and opt for a silkie rooster. Pangoo is a good roo I can pick him up and he is generally good with the hens , but I do worry about my tiny silkies.

We have large Chantecler roosters, easily 8 lbs each, and both bantam EEs and Belgian d 'Uccles, and sometimes one of the Chanties will mate with a bantam. Sometimes one of the EE roosters will try a standard hen, and in both cases, fertilization hasn't happened. Nobody has been injured either, all good.
Silkies are in another category, being both small, and fragile compared to so many other breeds, so often people keep their Silkie flock separate.
It really is dependent on the individuals involved, and space available.
Mary

My SF rooster (a bit over 7 pounds) mated the little Sebright in front of him. She is a bit over one pound.
I don't think he can actually fertilize her. The Sebright rooster does. I also don't know how often my SF rooster mates the little girls. But all of them are just fine.
View attachment 2888519
I would not allow it, and can't understand why anyone would.
I had a huge rooster run down my 1lb hamburg hens who ran like hell then cowered in *fear* when he tromped them down, not willingness, and disappeared squeaking beneath him. I wasn't fast enough to kick his horny ass off her or my toe would have come out through his beak. A rooster much larger can break bones if the hen moves wrong or isn't in excellent health/low on calcium. Roosters will mate with soda bottles. Just because they are horny and want to go after anything, does not mean they should be allowed tofdo so. I gave that rooster to a home with only full-sized mature hens.

I would not allow it, and can't understand why anyone would.
I had a huge rooster run down my 1lb hamburg hens who cowered in fear - not willingness - and disappeared beneath squeaking beneath him - I wasn't fast enough to kick his horny ass off or my toe would have coume out through his beak. A rooster much larger can break bones. Roosters will mate with soda bottles. Just because they are horny and want to go after anything, does not mean they should be allowed tofdo so. I gave that rooster to a home with only full-sized mature hens.
Well I guess I'm just nuts...
My big guy does just fine. She willingly submitted and he was off in seconds. He prefers his big girls though.
He's not leaving the flock. Neither are the bantams. The flock gets on just fine.
I know of other members here who also successfully keep LF roosters with bantam hens.

The cockerel that caused the most damage to a hen in my flock was a d'Uccle that would relentlessly pursue my Exchequer Leghorn. He balded her head and back forcing her to mate with him. She figured out that she could run to the big guy for protection but kept throwing herself at his feet for him to mate her.
She's stopped that insecure behavior since I sent the d'Uccle packing.
It all boils down to temperaments of both parties involved.

The OP wanted to know a LF rooster could be kept successfully with a bantam hen. The answer is yes, it can work. But sometimes if the rooster/cockerel is a jerk, it doesn't. And the jerky rooster doesn't have to be LF...

Well I guess I'm just nuts...
My big guy does just fine. She willingly submitted and he was off in seconds. He prefers his big girls though.
He's not leaving the flock. Neither are the bantams. The flock gets on just fine.
I know of other members here who also successfully keep LF roosters with bantam hens.

The cockerel that caused the most damage to a hen in my flock was a d'Uccle that would relentlessly pursue my Exchequer Leghorn. He balded her head and back forcing her to mate with him. She figured out that she could run to the big guy for protection but kept throwing herself at his feet for him to mate her.
She's stopped that insecure behavior since I sent the d'Uccle packing.
It all boils down to temperaments of both parties involved.

The OP wanted to know a LF rooster could be kept successfully with a bantam hen. The answer is yes, it can work. But sometimes if the rooster/cockerel is a jerk, it doesn't. And the jerky rooster doesn't have to be LF...
Lol, I had a mille fleur d'uccle early this year that would crow all day and squire my hamburgs around everywhere, but never saw him mate any bantam or standard. I gave him away because he never stopped crowing, like ever 30 seconds or less.. They are all individuals, for sure.

I want to go the opposite way around too. I have some little campine roos coming up - wouldn't imagine they'd be much different size-wise to a hamburg, but wanting to try one over my big SLW hen - hoping for some fast maturing meaty babies, but not sure if he'll be up to mounting her. She may need to get a chicken brazilian :/

So saddles are making it harder for them to mount? Could it be the fabric is too slick? I would assume something like denim or leather might offer better traction?

I'm having the same problem. My Brahma roo is quite large and he's after my EE hen that isn't interested in his advances AT ALL. She's about half his size and runs and hides from him, but he chases her and has snatched her bald headed, and pulled her feathers out of her back. She spends all her time running and hiding and can't lay eggs. He's relentless! He has just started mating and crowing in the last two weeks so I hope he's just learning how things work, but she's suffering for his immaturity. I've separated him from the flock, but that hasn't really worked out either because the hens rely on him and flock around his pen all day instead of free ranging. Please help! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom