Large Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by doublebow, May 15, 2011.

1. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    I have a RIR/BO rooster who is gentle and calm but he is so big that he has had to be removed from the hens. He is not intentionally rough but his size is causing the ladies to have leg injuries ans bloody shoulders. I would like to try and find him a new home but does anyone have any other suggestions? I really like this guy and he is so handsome. Right now he is alone in a coop and i am worried he will get depressed. Are there any hens that can hold up to such a big rooster?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    How about some Buff Orp hens? After all, since he's BO/RIR, that should work. How many hens do you have? I would have at least 9 or 10 hens per rooster, so that they don't get over mated. Also, you could order some hen saddles, to protect their backs. Perhaps you could trim his nails and spurs?

Jersey Giants are about the biggest breed of chickens that I know of......Maybe that would be a good breed to get for him.

3. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    He has eight hens. The hens he has are all about five or six pounds by the way. Some bo's and some sex links and some welsummers. I just weighed him and he weighs 8 1/2 lbs. So that's not really too big, I guess. How do you trim their nails?

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Jersey Giants?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by