Large scab type thing

ncserhati

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2021
Hello. I found this large, raised scab thing on my chicken's neck, to the left of the crop that goes near the wing and breast. It is about 2"x1" big. Her feathers pulled out super easy from it and you can see where they once were (little holes in the scab). She is not sensitive to me touching, poking, squishing it. She's acting ok otherwise, no limping, still eating/drinking, but a little lethargic in these normal activities. Any advice on what it is or how I should go about treating it. She is currently separated just in case. I checked her for lice and mites and none seen. All other chickens are fine.

Attachments

• 40729.jpeg
    40729.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 42
Is it over her breast bone where it could be a breast blister/sore? Or does it feel like it could be an ingrown feather cyst that contains solid pus or an ingrown feather? Tumors can also be common in chickens.

Is it over her breast bone where it could be a breast blister/sore? Or does it feel like it could be an ingrown feather cyst that contains solid pus or an ingrown feather? Tumors can also be common in chickens.
No it's closer to the crop, like up higher. I pulled the majority of her feathers from there as they easily plucked out. She's only about 6 months old, would tumors be seen by now? I feel that's so early

Tumors can be caused by viruses in chickens, such as leukosis and Mareks, and other types of tumors. Those can occur early in life or later. If you probe it with a sterilized needle, you might find either blood or a bit of yellow gunk and a feather. Blood only, might point toward a tumor or cyst. We are not vets, just giving you our amateur chicken owner opinions.

Tumors can be caused by viruses in chickens, such as leukosis and Mareks, and other types of tumors. Those can occur early in life or later. If you probe it with a sterilized needle, you might find either blood or a bit of yellow gunk and a feather. Blood only, might point toward a tumor or cyst. We are not vets, just giving you our amateur chicken owner opinions.
I appreciate your opinions and help. I soaked in Epsom salt water with a washcloth (didn't want to submerge her whole body) and put iodine on it after. Pat try then applied antifungal, antibacterial spray. I'll see what happens but it looks like the skin is raised with it, swelling on the outer edges of the scab, so a little worried about a tumor now. The scab looks like it's a part of the skin, not just a scab that's sitting on top of a wound (if that makes sense)

I appreciate your opinions and help. I soaked in Epsom salt water with a washcloth (didn't want to submerge her whole body) and put iodine on it after. Pat try then applied antifungal, antibacterial spray. I'll see what happens but it looks like the skin is raised with it, swelling on the outer edges of the scab, so a little worried about a tumor now. The scab looks like it's a part of the skin, not just a scab that's sitting on top of a wound (if that makes sense)
I would do what you are doing, keeping it clean. Just keep watching the scab. I hope she gets better! 😕🐔

Hello. I found this large, raised scab thing on my chicken's neck, to the left of the crop that goes near the wing and breast. It is about 2"x1" big. Her feathers pulled out super easy from it and you can see where they once were (little holes in the scab). She is not sensitive to me touching, poking, squishing it. She's acting ok otherwise, no limping, still eating/drinking, but a little lethargic in these normal activities. Any advice on what it is or how I should go about treating it. She is currently separated just in case. I checked her for lice and mites and none seen. All other chickens are fine.
Hi. I'm wondering what happened with this scab you found. I have just located several on my chicken as well that look very similar. I haven't been able to find any other pictures or threads similar to what she has going on. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi. I'm wondering what happened with this scab you found. I have just located several on my chicken as well that look very similar. I haven't been able to find any other pictures or threads similar to what she has going on. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hello, unfortunately she passed away about a week later. I never found out what it was, but had tried antibacterial and antifungal medicines, iodine and chlorohexidine. She was still eating a fair amount, up to the day she passed. I never tried treating for parasites so you could try that, but I believe it was cancer of some kind. She wasn't even a year old or laying yet, which is sad. Sorry you have the same thing for your chicken. If you try anything that works, please let me know in case I ever see it again and so others who find this post know what to do too.

Back
Top Bottom